Forever

After Brianna left, Everly flopped onto her bed with a thud.

"I think I'll be just fine here."

The lush, thick pillows swallowed her up, and their silk texture was cool to the touch. Her Victorian-era room would've seemed somewhat dark if not for the vibrant colors of her bedding and furniture. Her walls of the room had beautiful oak paneling with floral carvings, and a giant armoire to match. Her hardwood floors were perfectly polished. Her bedding was a deep rose color, with the lush pillows of all colors thrown on top. An emerald green chase lounge sat directly in front of her bed. When she looked up, she saw a golden chandelier hanging down from the ceiling. Its glittering crystals reflected the warm glow from the fireplace, causing glimmers of light to dance around her room. Everly's favorite part of the room, however, was her window seat placed directly beneath an incredible stained-glass mural. The seat had a floral cushion, and the mural above depicted a garden like none she'd ever seen. It was absolutely perfect.

Everly exhaled.

And I don't even have to share it.

Rachel and Ben stood in front of Everly's bed with their arms linked. They looked around her room uncomfortably. They knew that New City was nice...but dorm rooms with chandeliers and fireplaces? It was all too much.

Rachel spoke into the silence. "Angel?"

"Mhmmmmm?"

"Are you sure this is what you want?"

"I don't know what you mean by that," Everly asked defensively.

Rachel and Ben looked at each other and seemed to have another one of their silent conversations.

It's like they have telepathy or something. I hate when they do that.

"We know that you don't have a lot of knowledge about – um – certain norms, but this isn't normal. We don't know what's going on, but most college freshman are placed in dorms that are a fourth the size of this room. It seems to me that if they're giving you a room this nice, they're going to want something in return. Are you sure you want to start your freshman year off that way?"

Heat enflamed Everly's cheeks. She didn't hear a single word past "norms," and she was ready to spit fire. Everly sat upright.

"Mom, Dad. My whole life, you've told me that I'm no different than any other kids. You've told me that aside from a little schizophrenia, I'm still a normal teenage girl. How could you go back on that and tell me I don't know what normal is?"

Rachel and Ben looked distressed, realizing the implications of what they'd just said. Rachel looked at Everly as tears began to form in her eyes. Ben looked down at the floor.

Rachel unlinked her arm from Ben's and walked over to Everly's window seat. Beams of rainbow light illuminated her hair as she sat down and put her face in her hands. Her hands were so much like Everly's. They were strong, yet delicate. Unlike Everly's, they were worn from years of yardwork and a hard life.

Everly felt somber. She knew she'd hurt her parents, but she also knew that what she said was true. They told her, over and over again, that she was just like the other kids. Then, when it came time to put her to the test, they always withdrew her from the chance to take it. They wouldn't give her the opportunity to take chances – to live. They wanted to guard her and keep her in their safe Bolingbroke bubble. Life isn't meant to be lived in fear. If it is, you're not really living.

"Mom. Dad. I know you want to keep me safe, but you have to trust me now. If the powers that be really do end up having sky high expectations that I can't meet, I'll drop out of this mentoring program. I can even drop out of school – "

Rachel interrupted, "No! We don't want that!"

Everly continued, "I know. I'm just saying that this isn't forever, so please stop treating it like it is. At the end of the day, it's just a four-year degree."

Ben interjected, "I think we all know it's much more than that."

Rachel and Everly both looked at Ben, not knowing what direction this conversation was headed in. A deafening silence pervaded the room as they waited for Ben to explain himself.

"What I'm saying is, it is not just a four-year degree. In these four years, you're deciding who you want to be. You may not be the same girl after your time here. We're all used to things being the way they always have been, but they're never going to be the same again."

Rachel nodded, not making eye contact with either of her people. Ben's words perfectly summarized her feelings.

Ben continued.

"Just because things are never going to be the same again doesn't mean that college is a bad thing. We're excited for you, Everly. We just want you to realize that not all people in this world are good. Just be cautious. Getting mixed up with the wrong kind of people – people who are going to take advantage of you – can turn you into a different person."

Every responded, "Dad, I know that."

Ben Cross, in a different life, had the chance to go to college on a full scholarship. He turned it down so that he could help his dad with the family farm and marry Everly's mother. Ben didn't believe that you needed college to be educated – a local library would be just fine. A part of Everly always believed that he was just afraid to dream big.

And now he's projecting his fears on me.

Part of growing up meant respecting your parents, while also realizing that they weren't always right. Parents are people, too. People are messy, broken, and imperfect, even if they do everything in their power to lead upstanding lives. Everly's parent had always been her superheroes, though.

This wasn't an easy lesson to learn.

Everly hopped off the edge of her bed and walked over to her mom. She took her mom by the hand and led her back over to where her dad was standing. She held her mom's left hand, and her dad's right. Ben and Rachel gave each other their classic "we're in this together" look and wove their own fingers together lovingly.

"I love both of you forever. I promise I'll be okay."

Rachel spoke her last words to the Everly she knew, "We love you forever."