Already Home Part 4

Eve:

 My birthday. I’m 18, and spending my first day as a legal adult without my family. I wake up early, and Brenda, my foster mum, comes in, with a birthday cake in her arms. “Congratulations, sweety! You’re officially an adult,” she says, a genuine smile spreading across her wrinkling face.

   Brenda is kind, a better foster parent I couldn’t have gotten. She isn’t rich, in fact she’s quite poverty-stricken.

   She doesn’t have all the cosy comforts, but she does have a kind heart. All Brenda ever wanted was a child, so her whole life she’s been fostering kids. She’s been lovely to me, comforting me when I’m sad. And now, she’s made me a chocolate cake for my birthday!

   I hope my sisters all wound up with foster parents like her. They certainly deserve it.

   As I sit up in bed, I can’t help but burst into tears.

“What’s the matter, dear?” she asks me. I tell her how I miss my sisters, and I just wish I could be with them.

  “Well, love. I’m sure they’re missing you too. It would be lovely for you to see them. But, they need legal guardians. I’m sorry, honey,” and with that, she leaves my room so I can get ready for the day.

   Just as I am in the bathroom brushing my teeth, the phone rings. I hear Brenda answering it, and then she calls my name. I have no idea who it could be. I don’t know anyone anymore.

   I hold the phone cautiously against my ear. “Hello?” I question. Please be Bea or Vi, please be Bea or Vi.

   “Oh, Eve.” It’s Vi. I can’t believe it’s really her.

“Vi! How are you? Oh, I miss you so much!” I exclaim. I press the phone to my ear. My sister, it’s really her!

   “I was ringing to say happy birthday, Eve. Y-you’re 18 now!” says Vi. She’s never been very good with words, but I can tell she’s been up for hours thinking up what to say.

    “Well, yeah. I guess I am. I’m legal now,” I say.

 “Exactly,” says Vi. “You’re legal. Don’t you understand what that means?”

   I have no idea what she’s talking about. “No,” I say. “I don’t have a clue. If you ask me, it just means I can drink, and get into over 18 clubs.”

   I hear Vi sigh on the other end of the phone. “You idiot, “ she says exasperatedly. Just as I’m about to get offended, she continues: “You can look after us now, me and Bea. You’re a legal adult. Don’t you see!”

   Now I see. We can be together again! My sisters and I.

“Oh, Vi! This is fantastic! I can’t believe I didn’t realise this earlier!” How could I have possibly been so slow?” My heart is pounding. This is our chance. My sisters and I can be back together at last!

   “Oh, Vi. Look, I ‘m going to hang up now, and call Bea. I love you,” I say, reluctantly getting ready to say goodbye.

   “Promise me you’ll go through with this, Eve?” asks Vi, sounding worried.

   “I promise, Vi. If it’s the last thing I do,” and I hang up the phone.

 Beatrice:

 I’m vacuuming my bedroom floor when I distinctly hear the phone ring. It’s lucky Adele answers it, because it turns out to be for me, and Mr. Thomas wouldn't have let me talk.

   “Hello? Beatrice speaking. May I ask who I’m talking to?” I say. I know it sounds horribly posh, but Mr. Thomas taught me it, and I’m afraid he might be listening in on the extension.

    “Bea?  I-It’s Eve,” I have to clamp my hand over my mouth to stop myself from yelping in delight. It’s my sister. It’s awful, really. She’s ringing me on her birthday!

   “Happy birthday, Eve! I miss you so much! It’s so awful here! Please, I have to see you, and Vi too,” I’m sobbing now, it’s so great to hear the voice of familiarity.

   “I know, Bea. I miss you too. It’s been difficult, but I’ve just about managed. My foster mum’s really nice, though. Is yours?” This was the one question I really didn’t want her to ask. But she did, and I have to answer her.

   “Adele’s nice,” I say. “But Mr. Thomas is awful. He hit her, Eve. A-and kicked her!”

   Eve is silent for a moment. “Oh, Bea. Well, that’s why I’m calling. I’m 18 now! I’m a legal adult. You know what that means? I CAN BE YOUR LEGAL GUARDIAN! We can be together again!” I can’t believe what I’m hearing.

   I won’t have to suffer through Mr. Thomas’s horrible beatings, and strict regulations. I will no longer have to idly watch Adele suffer through her husbands cruel taunts. I can go home.

   “Do you promise, Eve?” I ask. “Of course, Bea. Would I lie to you?” she says, and I know she wouldn’t.

     I think of our house, of its familiar musty smell, of it’s peeling yellow wallpaper, it’s soft brown carpet.

     I imagine my soft purple bed sheets, the irises outside my window. Vi is lying in the hammock outside, Eve is curled up with a book.

     And in my head, I am already home.