The old woman had to watch her son, who was turned into a demon, die in front of her.

Sanemi and Chizuko didn't mean for it to happen, the old lady wasn't supposed to be there at that very moment. Chizuko remembered the old lady's wails vividly, it pierced her heart.

She didn't realise her cheeks were wet until Sanemi placed a hand on her shoulder.

"Just don't forget who you swing your sword for, brat."

So, who does she swing her sword for?

Noboru stepped to the front, he was undoubtedly trembling, "S-Sota! Th-This is not you! Please stop before it's too late!" He winced at how Sota laughed, this isn't the Sota he knew.

"There is no turning back! I am going to devour this person!" Sota's declaration drew Chizuko back to reality, "I am going to take the revenge I deserve! Who gave them the right to discriminate us? Who do they think they are to treat us like we are the dirt under their shoes? Who are they to destroy our happiness? I will be the judge in this unfair world!"

Chizuko gulped, Sota's words brought her back to her childhood.

"Grandma? Why can't I fight back?" Little Chizuko said through gritted teeth. Clenching her fists, Chizuko was shivering with rage. What did she ever do to them? Why was she despised for no reason at all? If unfairness were rain clouds, why did it seem that she were the only person rained on?

"You are a swordsmen, aren't you?" Sota turned to Chizuko, "Are you here to punish me? Why don't you fight for justice? Aren't you supposed to side with the oppressed? Who do you fight for?"

"Chizuko," Grandma Suzuki patted Chizuko's head gently, "Because we don't become like them."

Rain poured from the sky, Chizuko resumed her stance. The faces of those she helped and those she couldn't save flashed before her eyes. She swings her sword for the defenceless, to fulfil her promise to protect humans from demons.

Chizuko steadied her uneven breathing. The smiles of her grandma, Shinobu, Muichiro, Aoi, Hina, Ichika, Kanao, Naho, Sumi, Kiyo, Hachi, Obanai, Mitsuri, Kyojuro, Sanemi, Uzui, Amane and Kagaya popped up in her mind. They gave her happiness, support, and a reason to become strong. She swings her sword for her family, to repay their unconditional love.

The raindrops slid down Chizuko's cheeks along with her tears. "Is... Is it possible if I could follow you? I promise I won't be a nuisance!" she had ran after Shinobu and Sanemi on that snowy night. She made a decision, a wild gamble for some hopes of a better future. She swings her sword for herself, to fight for her own fate, to change her destiny.

"I'm sorry," Chizuko leapt into action, "Fox breathing, Combined, Byyako and Yako, Mischievous Fox Fire!"

Mustering the willpower to ignore Noboru's agonising screams, Chizuko dodged the hungry flames licking at her limbs. Don't stop, don't hesitate! Sota was pitiful, the result of misconceptions and hate. But he was wrong, he didn't have to burn the town down, he didn't have to murder or hurt all those people, he didn't have to become the very people he detested. He had a choice, and he made a mistake. Did he deserve to be punished? She didn't know. The only thing she knew was that she had to keep her promises for the weak, for her family, and for herself.

Slash. Chizuko sliced off Sota's arms.

And now! She back flipped, beheading Sota in a clean horizontal slash.

Chizuko landed, why does the rain taste salty?

************************************************
Chizuko stayed for a few extra days as the assistant of the doctor in town.

Tending to the injured wasn't a tedious job, it was like helping out at the butterfly mansion. Chizuko was thanked by almost everyone in town, but she couldn't find herself smiling at all.

Maybe Tanaka-sama will come here soon?

Noboru had been avoiding Chizuko for the past few days. She knew that their short friendship was beyond repair, it was impossible for him to ever forgive her.

Still, she wished she had the chance to express how sorry she was for both Noboru and Sota.

The drizzle that lasted for days just wouldn't go away.

************************************************
"Tanaka-sama!" Chizuko called, "Please take care!"

"Caw! We have to go to Sapporo to catch the train to Otaru now!" Hachi landed on Chizuko's shoulder.

Taking one last glance at Noboru's locked door, Chizuko turned and nodded to Hachi, "Alright, Hachi, thanks."

*************************************************
Hi 👋🏻 Hope you enjoyed reading so far :) Here are some amendments to Fox breathing fifth form ()

Kekkijutsu•Kuko• Clairvoyance
{血鬼術空狐千里眼}
Kuko, the sky fox, are divine beings that are over a millennium years old. Not much is known about them but they are said to have parapsychological abilities (e.g. prophecy). This technique involves memorising the opponent's attacks and the blood demon art of prediction, can be combined with the rest of the Fox Breathing forms or mist breathing.