THIRTEEN

------- CASTINE -------

When I've finally gotten over my fears enough to move again, I decide to leave the room and try to find Naya. After the day I've had, I need to talk to someone sane. But I can't seem to find her anywhere. The hallways are deserted. Where is everybody? Sebastian never said anything about having to stay in our rooms. 

I search the classrooms and the quiet rooms but they're all empty. I'm just about to head out the garden to see if she's out there, when someone puts their hand on my shoulder. 

I gasp, trying to get away, certain that Sebastian has found me but I glance behind me to find Francisco instead. I stop struggling. "Oh, it's you," I murmur as I catch my breath. 

He drops his hand from my shoulder. "I'm sorry if I scared you," he says. 

"It's alright," I reply, waving off his apology. "I just thought... you were Sebastian." 

He furrows his dark eyebrows in confusion. "Why would Mr. Morrison come looking for you?" He asks, rubbing his chin in thought. 

I want to tell him about Sebastian's obsession with me; how he's been watching me since I was a little girl. About how he makes me feel weak and helpless whenever I'm near him. Sebastian makes my skin crawl. 

I open my mouth to speak, but no words will come out. It all gets stuck inside my throat, behind an invisible barrier that I'm not sure I'll ever be able to get past. "It's nothing to worry about," I say, instead. It's not what I want to say, but it's the only thing I can say. 

Francisco nods but I can see the concern in his eyes. "Are you sure you're okay?" He asks, glancing around to make sure we're alone. "He hasn't touched you has he?" He asks, his words impossibly quiet.  

I shake my head. "No he hasn't," I tell him before hesitating. That's not entirely true. He has touched me, just not in the way Francisco is meaning. But he has touched me. "No, no. I'm fine. Why did you stop me?" I ask him, needing to change the topic. 

"I just saw you wandering down the hall, and wanted to know what you were up to," he replies. 

I grimace at him. "You wanted to know if I was trying to escape," I correct, folding my arms over my chest. 

Francisco sighs as if he's realized that he said the wrong thing. "Sorry, Castine, it's my job and I have to do it," he says gently, trying to coax me into understanding. 

"Well, I wasn't just so you know," I spit back, glancing away from him. "I was looking for my friend," I add, my words dripping with venom. 

Francisco nods. "Right. Sorry," he apologizes again. "How are you doing anways? I don't think it was very right of Mr. Morrison to have you all searched," he tells me quietly, glancing around again.