Part 9

It is their last day at District 4, Annie's begged them enough to make them stay another night but Gale has to get back, he needs to figure his life out again because he needs to find a job again and fix things with his family. Technically, he still works for the government but they clearly don't need him anymore, he's a soldier and there is no war and Gale likes it this way. Plus he thinks of quitting his job because he's done what he wanted, the Rebels succeeded, the new government has risen and nothing has disturbed the serene and tranquil peace that followed.

The rage driven flame in him has burned out. It had to eventually because the Capitol has fallen, Coin is dead, Snow died three years ago in prison.

Maybe that's a good thing, Gale thinks because now he can enjoy his life without worrying that everything good about it would be snatched away from him.

Okay, Gale admits that there's still traces of rage that'll probably never disappear because that's what drove him throughout the years and it isn't going to vanish completely. But it is reduced to bitter thoughts rather than being an inferno that consumed his entire being.

It's ironic to him that they called Katniss the 'Girl On Fire' when she never really intended to start a revolution. In the final few months of the old Panem, she wanted Peeta back, that was her motivation. She saw bloodshed and loss, something that Gale saw as well but he knew it was the only way because the President who smelled like blood and roses wasn't going to sit down and talk.

Gale met Snow. He was sent to do a checkup on him, see if he was alive and if he wasn't, report it and have the body disposed of.

As soon as the scent of roses and blood filled his nostrils, it caused the hairs on the back of his neck to stand.

' Ah, the handsome cousin. I should have had you killed.', he states bluntly.

Gale looks at him stoically. He doesn't look anything like the imposing, well groomed figure on the televisions. His hair sticks to his forehead. His beard is untamed. His clothes are rumpled and dirty. He can barely sit up, he trembles with the effort.

' Yes you should have.', Gale returns, 'Tell me, how long do you think you'll last in these cells with no one who gives a damn about you on the premise?'

Snow laughs, it's a weak laugh, not booming, ' I survived before, I'll survive again. Don't you think the mastermind behind the games would know a tad bit about survival?'

' No, I don't think a rich fat pig like yourself would be able to survive.'

There's a moment of silence and Gale feels this surge of content surge over him as the words leave his mouth because he's wanted to insult the tyrant in the cell for so long and now he finally has the chance.

Gale notes that no one has talked to him like that in a while, so Gale chuckles when he sees Snow sneering at him.

" You think you're the only one who can play mind games old man?"

Gale looks into his eyes and knows almost immediately that he is utterly and completely insane. Desperation, hunger. He's beginning to resemble the innocent tributes that were on the verge of death.

" What are you going to do? Kill me?"

Gale can't explain the undying hatred towards the man... no, Gale doesn't think Snow is worthy enough to be called a man. You need to have some trace of a consciousness to be a man, that makes you regret the bad things you've done and Gale never saw a trace of regret on his face, not even when he died.

When Snow died and the reporters swarmed around him because the star crossed lovers, Annie Cresta and Johanna Mason were all retired. They asked him what his thoughts were. Gale didn't hesitate, 'He didn't deserve to die, he deserved to suffer forever for what he did.'