Part 7

The boy who looks back at him has dark hair pulled back in a bun, his enraged eyes are grey, his skin is olive colored, his lips are pressed in a tight line and his fists are clenched.

"Rory.", Gale breathes out. His heart is hammering against his chest. He doesn't know what to think or do.

Rory is still walking towards him.

Gale feels panic clawing at his brain.

"Rory?", he says louder. It's been too long since that name left his lips. Since he's seen him. Since he's seen them. His eyes go back to the group, he sees a girl, her hair in a ponytail, her expression matching her brother's.

Posy

She's taller now, Gale counts the years that have passed, She's 12.

His attention goes back to Rory.

He sees his arm swing back and then his head is snapping back with the force of the blow. His head is spinning, there's something dripping out of his nose, it's warm and tastes salty on his lips, it's blood.

He looks up, Rory's brows are furrowed, there's tears in his eyes, " I deserved that.", he says quietly.

"You left us.", Rory yells, grabs his collar, " How could you just leave us?!"

Gale doesn't have any answers, his mind is still registering Rory's features.

"You promised that you would take care of us, that you wouldn't leave us. Gale? Gale answer me!"

He remembers a lanky frame and crooked smile. He remembers a glint of mischief in Rory's eyes. He doesn't see any of that now, he sees a healthy boy with fire in his eyes.

Gale can feel all of the sets of eyes staring at them but he doesn't care. It's been too long since he's seen his family for him to care about what people thought of him.

7 Years Ago

Gale's foot taps impatiently as he waits for his mother to answer the phone. He's going to District 2, he can't go back to 12, he can't bear the thought of having to confront her and the place that's filled with the memories of Prim.

"Hello?", A confused voice asks.

"Ma, it's Gale."

"Gale, where are you? Are you okay-"

"Ma, i'm fine."

" Oh thank god, when are you coming?"

" Yeah about that... I'm going to District 2-"

"What Why?"

"They need me there, I need to help build New Panem, it's only a few months and it pays well, more than the mines ever could. I'll send you checks, I promise."

"Okay.", she didn't sound convinced at all.

"I need you to pack my stuff okay? I'll come and grab it tomorrow?"

"Okay." , her voice is trembling.

"Okay, bye."

Rory calls his name, bringing Gale back to the present.

"Gale?"Rory's eyes are pleading him for an answer.

Gale's hand is shaky as it reaches out and rests on his shoulder, " I'm sorry."

"Guys! Guys, I'm not going forever.", Gale says as his siblings cling to him like a lifeline. He's seated on the couch, Posy is on his lap, hugging him, Vick clings to his arm. Rory stands in the distance with his arms crossed, a look of fury on his face.