Part 1

"Goodbye Gale.", Katniss's voice was harsh. Cold. He'd never heard her speak like this, not to him.

He felt something shatter in him. Deep in his roots, years of friendships erased. All because of him.

He turned around. Brows furrowed. Unable to hide the hurt in his eyes.

This was his fault.

Prim's death was his fault.

He had designed the bomb.

But he didnt know that's what it would be used for.

He shook his head, no more excuses. This was his fault.

He struggled to contain the sob in his throat.

Prim.

He had protected her for so many years. Kept his promise for so long.

She was like a sister to him.

Now she was gone.

He kept on walking. Not having a clue where he was going. But he didnt look back.

Prim.

Who had found hope in everything  always been optimistic.

Gone in such a hopeless way.

His hand came up to wipe his nose. To hide his face from the people walking past him. They couldn't see him like this.

Prim.

Who had always done the right thing.

Killed so wrongfully.

Killed by him.

He took in a shaky breath and turned. Hoping to find an isolated corner in the huge mansion.

She had tended to his wounds when he was whipped.

She had always been there, giving him hope.

He was supposed to protect her yet she was the one who had given him purpose.

He let out a sob, sitting with his back against the pillar, facing the wall.

He wanted to cry but couldn't feel any tears in his eyes.

Just a dull emptiness. That was once filled with hope and love. Now filled with guilt and hate.

He looked up at the sky, " I'm sorry.", he wondered if she could hear him. Probably not. But he still hoped.

It should have been him, he thought. Him that died in her place. Him that should have shielded her from it.

But he couldn't fight off a few peacekeepers.

After so many years of training, he couldn't fight when he needed to the most.

Angry tears built up in his eyes.

He heard footsteps approaching, he quickly rubbed away his tears. Let his expression harden.

The man was no other than Haymitch.

"Hey.", he greeted.

"What do you want?", He retorted.

" Madam President wanted me to ask you if you want to move to District 2? As a reward for everything you've done."

He didn't think twice, " Yes."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

7 Years Later

Gale was still miserable.

He had been promoted to Captain in the district. Head of security and services.