t w e n t y s e v e n

Start from the beginning

"Absolutely stunning," he answered, wrapping his arm around her waist and bringing her close so she was pressed against his chest. Because she was barefoot, their height difference was even more apparent.

"Well, I think you look very handsome," she leaned up to kiss him on the lips. Pulling away, she gave him a once over. "My dad will think you're the perfect gentleman."

He had on a black coat over a white dress shirt that was unbuttoned at the top and tucked into a pair of fitted navy blue trousers.

He gave her a cheeky grin. "That's what I was going for."

She couldn't help but bite her lip as she stared at him. Groaning, he leaned down to place another kiss on her lips, moving down her jaw and then to her ear.

"You keep biting that lip, sweetheart, and I'll have no choice but to do something your dad will kill me for," he whispered, causing her to shiver. He bit back a smirk as he pulled away.

Her cheeks were now a bright red, making her look even more endearing. He cupped her cheek, gently pulling her lip from her teeth.

Realizing that they were still standing outside in the cold she quickly shook out of her trance and pulled him inside.

Before stepping inside, he reached over to grab a box of traditional tea, a bottle of red wine, and a bundle of a dozen red roses that he had placed on the bench on her front porch.

"Xavier," she looked at him in awe. "You didn't have to bring anything."

"I know, but I wanted to do this right," he said nonchalantly, following her into the house, leaving his shoes by the door. Apparently, it was custom to bring tea when you visit a Taiwanese household, and he figured since Aurora's mother was Taiwanese, it seemed fitting. "I did a bit of research."

She paused, bringing him down for another kiss. "You're so sweet. My mom will love this."

Before he could deepen the kiss, a throat cleared behind them, causing them to break apart. He looked up to find Connor staring at them with his arms crossed. Xavier immediately recognized him from his favorite team. But the man standing in front of him wasn't Connor Young, the hockey player— he was Connor, his girlfriend's older brother.

Aurora rolled her eyes at her brother's antics, grabbing the bottle of wine from Xavier's hand. "Xavier, this is my idiotic brother, Connor. Connor, this is my boyfriend, Xavier."

"Nice to meet you," Xavier held the box of tea and flowers in one arm while reaching his hand out to shake Connor's hand, which the latter took. He felt Connor grip his hand tightly, and returned the gesture, not backing down. "I'm a big fan."

"Thanks, man. Nice to meet you, too," Connor looked at the man standing in front of him up and down. He nodded in approval when he felt Xavier return the handshake with a firm grip.

Aurora looked at the two of them with confusion. She didn't understand why men felt the need to do whatever they just did in front of her.

"Anyways," interrupted Aurora, breaking their odd staring contest. This caused them to glance down at her. "Mom should be in the kitchen."

Holding his elbow, she led Xavier past her brother and towards the kitchen, where her mother and father stood, adding the finishing touches to dinner. Well, her mother was adding the finishing touches, while her father was trying to sneak food into his mouth—all while she scolded him. Aurora smiled as her parents bickered back and forth.

She gently set the bottle of wine on the kitchen island.

"Mom, dad," Aurora called out, causing the two to look up. Immediately, her dad's face turned stern as he glanced at the man next to his daughter.