Snuff You Out Pt. 2

Start from the beginning

Katara pulled her hand from Zuko's scar just in time to see Aang and the others. Zuko's eyes shot open and relief flooded his body. The two groups rushed toward each other, Zuko passing by his uncle and pulling Kai into a heartfelt embrace.

"What are you doing here?? I thought you'd be halfway to the Southern Earth Kingdom by now." He asked with her dust covered hair muffling his words.

"We came to save you, dummy." She said. Zuko could verbally hear the smile on her face, even though it was hidden by his chest. He thought in that moment that the only good thing this war had produced was right here in front of him. But that thought was short lived when he heard Katara's voice shout, "Aang!"

He glared over Kai's shoulder to see the avatar giving him the same look. And the two conflicting sides of him were at war once again. Zuko pulled away from Kai, seemingly scolding her, "Why did you bring the avatar here?!"

Before Kai had the chance to respond, Aang did it for her. He spoke with just as much hostility as Zuko had given him, "She already told you, I came to rescue you!"

Zuko lunged at the avatar, who was still gripping Katara by the waist, but Kai blocked his path with her body. She realized now that, though Zuko was sweet to her, he was still like two sides of a coin. He was still hot and cold, night and day. He was still the Fire Lord's son when the embers in his blood ran hot enough.

Iroh placed a hand on his nephew's shoulder, "Zuko, it's time we talked." He locked eyes with Kai and then gazed over his shoulder at Katara and Aang, "Go help your other friends. We'll catch up with you."

Kai glanced up at Zuko, asking for permission to follow his uncle's orders like she had in their dining room this morning. And again, he nodded her off.

*****

The three benders raced through the only tunnel leading out of the Crystal Catacombs. The geodes on either side of them almost mimicked a mirror maze in a merchant town fun house.

"We've got to find Toph and Sokka!" yelled Katara.

Suddenly, Kai could feel someone trailing behind them. Their footsteps were far too light to be Zuko or Iroh's, but whoever it was was gaining speed quickly. She felt them stop on a dime, giving her the opportunity to click her heel and get a reading of their body map.

Shots of lightning blue reverberations pulsed back toward her body and what she saw was literally blue lightning. Kai bended a wall of solid rock between them and knew in an instant who it was.

The sheer force of the lightning knocked her back a few steps. It'd destroyed her wall, leaving a crumbling mess at her feet. Azula stood across the cavern from them, her fingers smoldering like a smoking gun. She sent another blast their way and Katara quickly summoned a wave of cave water to intercept it, leaving them all lost in a thick cloud of steam.

When the room cleared out, Azula was hanging from the crystal wall. She'd learned that trick from the Dai Li. Two more bolts of lightning shot from her fingers and then she lost her footing when Kai took advantage of the organic matter she'd seeked refuge in. The wall came tumbling down but Azula was swift. She somersaulted away from the crumbling wall and landed between Aang, Katara and Kai. Sharp fingers pointed in either direction, ready to both attack and defend herself.

A wall of flames erupted amidst the standoff and all of their eyes darted toward the corridor from which they'd come. Zuko stood there, his hands balled into fists at his sides as he looked back and forth between Kai and his sister.

Kai felt as if she was in a dream. Or maybe it was a nightmare. Her legs felt lighter and it was as if she knew how this battle was going to end before it ever even began.