Let the games begin

The devil knows no boundaries
It likes to play even if it makes you bleed

***

"Did you really think you could convince my mom with that charm of yours?" I slammed shut Romeo's locker, catching him by surprise.

Last night I let it slide because, one I was tired and two I wanted my anger to be focused when I confronted him today.

"Jesus, Juliet." He jumped back, fixing the strap of his backpack on his shoulder.

"That's right. Jesus. You need Jesus to protect you because you just declared war with the wrong person." I fumed, my jaw clenching by the way his eyes glinted with amusement.

"I don't know about war but I had to try." He shrugged, "I thought this face at least would have done some work, not to mention this smile." And he smiled, showing all of his pearly white teeth. I had to agree he did look good. Charming. But my mother wasn't one to hold her kids back from living their life, especially in a town like Williamsdale where crime was minimum.

"Are you drunk? Or did your coffee have an extra shot of cockiness today?" I remarked, narrowing my eyes at the way his smile wouldn't drop or the way his eyes piercingly stared into mine, making my heart beat a tad bit faster.

"No, just happy."

I wonder why. Before my mind made up scenarios of him with a certain someone in bed, I closed the distance between us and grabbed his jacket, pulling him down to my height. "Listen to me, you want to be the devil in my life, you better remember I consider what they call me to be short for Drizella."

"That's supposed to be a threat? You're cute, Juliet." He snickered, tucking a strand of hair behind my ear. His hand lingered on my head as my grip on his jacket tightened.

"Can you be serious for just one second?"

He exhaled, his lips setting in a thin line as he detached my hand from his leather jacket and stood up straight. The amusement dancing in his eyes disappeared though his gaze was as unwavering as before, boring into mine with blankness as if the ocean in them had been commanded to stop, conveying not one emotion he felt, "You haven't seen the devil in me yet, Juliet." He said in a flat voice.

The devil in me. It couldn't be as bad as he was making it sound.

You don't know him, Freya's voice whispered at the back of my mind but I ignored it.

"Yeah? Show me, then." I challenged, stepping closer to him. There was something in the way he was being right now as if all the bright places I saw in his eyes were nothing but a show and it was over now, red curtains being draped over the stage. I shook the thought. Sometimes my imagination took me to other worlds I didn't want to be in.

"You don't want to do this, Juliet." He warned, taking a step back.

"No." I confirmed, "I do. I really do." After all I wanted to see this devil he talked about. In fact, I wanted to see all the sides to Romeo Gibson he hid from the world.

"You asked for it." He said tartly, turning around and walking away from me. Was it bad that even though I was upset with him, his words excited me? Or was it just the Cecily nature to be excited by a potential war with a fellow student?

Probably the Cecily nature, I decided as I walked to English.

The moment I entered all eyes turned to me, some of the students were snickering to themselves, the others whispering to each other. Romeo had changed his seat to sit beside me where he usually sat at the back with David in English. His arm rested on the window sill as he leaned back on the wall behind him, grinning like a Cheshire Cat.