Chapter 2

Haymitch's POV

As the announcement finishes, I hear screams pour out of Mrs. Everdeen's mouth.
"We shouldn't have kept it a secret..." Peeta said. I look over to Katniss as I see her abruptly get up from the couch and start to leave the house. Peeta gets up, "Katniss!" He said, going to chase after her. I find myself following Peeta and I hear the cries pour out of Effie and Mrs. Everdeen's mouth. Cinna goes to support them as Prim clings onto Effie, of all people.

It's raining as Peeta runs to catch up with Katniss, and Katniss is running towards the woods, to find Gale probably. I think about how much alcohol I want to consume as I chase after the star crossed lovers.
"Katniss!" Both Peeta and I call, as Katniss has to stop entirely to breathe. When we both get over to her, she is sobbing. I see tears form in Peeta's eyes too. She says nothing as she falls into Peeta's arms. I huff softly, watching the two of them.

"Katniss..." I start to say, but I have no idea where I'm going with this. She's pregnant for god sake. She will be the most vulnerable person in that arena. They are going to want to kill the Mockingjays, especially the gamemakers and, more importantly, Snow.

Peeta holds Katniss tight as I suggest getting away from everyone else and going to Peeta's house. They nod in agreement as we walk over. I find my hand on Katniss' back, looking over at Peeta who was trying so desperately to calm his wife.

Once we get there Peeta sits with Katniss on the couch, and I crouch in front of her. "Katniss... I'm going to keep both of you alive," Peeta said.
"No, Peeta, you won't... both of us are going to be killed! And if you get into that arena, consider our entire family dead," Katniss responded harshly.
I try to stay calm, "Sweetheart, I will do everything I can to volunteer in Peeta's place."
"No- no I want to be there with her," Peeta said to me.
"And make an orphan of your child if they make it out alive?" I angrily say to him.

The room fell silent besides more of Katniss' cries, and Peeta leaves, his own worries filling his head as he decides to go upstairs. Shit. Now I have two upset kids on my hands. Katniss looks over at me, "Promise me you'll do what you can to keep me, and more importantly the baby alive in that arena," she said, wiping her tears.
"I would do anything to protect you guys." I respond.
"Keep Peeta out of that arena," She then said. I nodded before I sat on the couch and pulled her into a hug. She gripped onto my shirt tightly. I can't help myself but to let out a shaky sigh, it's both of their lives over mine. I don't want to fail to protect them. Why did she trust me more than Peeta to protect her? Maybe she's more prepared for my death than Peeta's. Honestly my death hasn't come quick enough.

"Are you okay?" I ask her, "Okay enough to let me go check on Peeta?"
"Yeah... make sure you tell him that I want him out of the arena," she responds. I break the hug and let my hand fall on her stomach without thinking. She knows to not take offense by it, but she also wants to slap me. Soon I pull my hand away, with a quick "Sorry," and go upstairs to find Peeta.

I find Peeta in an empty room, pacing back and forth between the walls. I walk in, "Peeta... we need to sit and talk."
He nods in agreement and grabs two chairs that were in the room, pulling them over and I sit down in one. I try to speak first, but the young mouth beats me to it, "I'm going to go with Katniss and the baby," he said.
"No, no you aren't. That baby needs at least half of their family alive," I start to argue.
"And what about you?" Peeta asks.
"What about me? I'm an old man, Peeta. You're an expecting father. I'm more than willing to die for your wife and child," I say.
"And so am I!" Peeta rebuttals.
"Your child needs you alive, Peeta. 100% alive. Katniss does not want you in that arena, kid. Listen to your wife, or you might never get to hold your baby, even if you both make it out alive."