Chapter 12

Haymitch's POV

I'm at the end of the pack as we walk towards the lightning tree. I know this plan all too well. I've known it all along. We get to the tree, and Beetee instructs us to help us wrap on the tree tightly. We all pitch in to help, and then the anthem plays. We look at who's fallen. Wiress and Mags included. Two innocent lives. Two victorious lives taken. This place makes me sick. I want a drink.

"Haymitch and Katniss, take the coil go all the way to the beach, and make sure it is submerged underwater," Beetee instructs, handing Katniss the coil.  "Johanna and Finnick will be my guards." Great. So I'm alone to protect her. Well, it is my job anyway. I accept the task and Katniss and I get an early head start. We walk trough the woods, and I help Katniss over some rocks.

"If this works, and the careers die, I'm not gonna be the one to shoot first. And neither will you," Katniss said.
"Yes ma'am," I say, just simply taking orders. But I don't want to make her suspicious that I know something that she doesn't.
"I'm surprised I haven't like completely passed out or even gotten sick yet."
"Did they give you medicine before you went to your pedestal?"
"Yeah."
"Then that's probably it."

We are suddenly forced to stop when the line is cut. I get down and force Katniss down with me.
"Just trust me Katniss," I whisper as I take my knife out and dig her tracker out, then taking mine out. We both wince, but I'm also shushing Katniss as I'm doing my own tracker.

"Stay. Down." I command, before throwing one of my knives at the two tributes from District 2. It hits the rocks. Shit. I'm forced to run and leave Katniss behind, running away from the careers that are left. Finnick is soon behind me to back me up as we take the two.

Katniss' POV

When Haymitch is far away with the careers, I start to head back to the tree. My head is spinning as I approach the tree. Someone hits the force field. I hear a cannon. I rush over to see Beetee in shock. I call out his name and try to reassure him that he's fine, but I don't think he hears me over his current state. I turn to see wire attached to a man-made spear, with metal as the tip. I pick it up to examine it.

Soon, I hear footsteps again. At this point, I don't know if Haymitch is alive. I draw an arrow into my bow as I crouch down in the bushes. It hurts so badly. I simply see Finnick come back. He didn't...

I point my arrow at Finnick as he calls for me. I tense up. Where is Haymitch? Did he kill him. Finnick sees me in the bushes. We stare at each other for a while.

"Katniss. Remember who the real enemy is," he said to me. I immediately ease my bow. That's when the thunder starts. Haymitch is running behind Finnick now. I take my arrow out.

"Katniss!" Finnick calls, "You better get away from that tree!"
"Katniss! Get away!" Haymitch calls out.

I ignore him as I wrap the coil around my arrow. It's time to tear this place apart. End the suffering. For the children of my generation, and for my own child. For Ivy.

Once the lightning starts, I lay on the ground as I shoot the arrow straight up into the sky, electrocuting me a bit, and it hits the dome. Once the dome is shocked, everyone is on the ground, and the dome starts to fall apart. Traces of the glass cut my skin, but I don't care as I shield my stomach the best I can. That's it. It's over. I soon am too weak, going in and out of consciousness. The last thing I see is a jet, and the claw that picks me up.

END OF PART ONE.