Chapter Fifteen

-Jared-

I don't think I ever felt anything like this before.

Sure, there were girls I liked. Had a crush on. Really put myself out there for. A time or two, I thought I was almost at the point of "love" - or at least, what I imagine it's supposed to be. And every time I got there...

"Oh, I just wanted your teammate to notice me."

"I just wanted to get into your group of friends."

At first, I was surprised. What was I doing wrong? How was I attracting this kind of attention? But after a while, the gears in your head change. You realize that two can play at that game. They wanted someone else? Well, I did too.

I didn't know who, but it sure wasn't the girl who used me.

After a while, I got into a rhythm. Cheerleader this time. Dancer next time. Girl on the volleyball team next...

Wash, rinse, repeat. Next. It was almost a game by now. Just fun and excitement. Until the thrill wore off or we each got what we wanted.

I didn't want to be last anymore.

But it felt so different when I asked her out. I was nervous. I don't remember the last time I got nervous asking a girl out. I actually called her. Something in me just screamed that I couldn't ask her over text.

Part of me was terrified. Don't trust her. Don't let her in. It was too late for either of those things.

So if Ingrid McKay broke my heart, so be it. I couldn't help but feel like I deserved it.

- - -

"Almost...done..." Kristin announced, securing the rest of the string lights above our heads. We stepped back and admired our work and I wiped the sweat from my forehead.

Of course our first date would be on the hottest day of summer so far.

"Thanks for helping me out."

She looked over to me and patted my back, shaking her head. "I'll admit, I was a little surprised. But I'm happy for you."

I turned away to walk back into the house, heading straight for the kitchen for a glass of ice water. My sister followed behind, drumming her fingers on the counter as she watched me.

"I'm glad you asked me though."

"It's nothing, just drop it." I chugged more of my water and closed my eyes. I was really putting aside a lot of my pride, asking Kristin for help with this date. I didn't need to feel any more embarrassment than I already did.

"It's not 'nothing'," Kristin prodded, walking past me to grab a glass from the cabinet. "You really like her." Her tone was gentle. She seemed almost amazed. "Doing all 'that'..." She waved through the patio door at our handiwork for tonight. "For this girl? I'm proud of you."

She filled her glass with water from the pitcher in the fridge, before leaning against the counter next to me. "I don't know what happened the last time you saw her... But I liked who you were when you came back."

I turned around to refill my glass. "What do you mean?"

I knew what she meant. I was just too stubborn. I didn't want to tell anyone else about us. Until there actually was an "us".

I was over getting my hopes up.

"You're calmer. At peace... You're more yourself than I've seen in a long time."

I didn't know what to say. What else could I say to the "bomb sniffing dog"?

She had me cornered. No matter what I said, she knew.

"So...what do you want?" I finally asked, looking over at her.

Her lips grew into a slow smile and she set her glass down on the counter next to her. "I want you to give this girl a date to remember." She fished her keys out of her pocket and set them in my hands. "You better get ready for her."

- - -

I was parked in the McKay driveway at 5 PM.

One last swipe of deodorant. One last check of my hair and teeth in the mirror.

This wasn't my first date ever. I had nothing to be afraid of, right?

"Jeez, stop..." I commanded my shaking hands, balling them into fists and resting them against the steering wheel. As far as I knew, the stakes should be lower. Ingrid still didn't remember anything from the school year.

We were just two people, brought together by the craziest set of circumstances, finally taking the time to talk and get to know each other. No annoying siblings allowed.

I paused and steadied my breath, before unbuckling my seatbelt and exiting the car to knock on the front door. Mr. McKay answered, pulling me in with a handshake and a hug. "Jared, good to see you!"

Yep, still wasn't used to that.

"Hi, Joel. Good to see you, too." I nodded, looking around nervously. Ingrid wasn't downstairs yet.

"She'll be down in a minute." He smiled knowingly at me. "Just have her home by curfew."

That's it?

He must have read the confused look in my eyes, as he leaned in closer to tell me in a low tone. "I trust you."

"Joel, we'll be right down!" Mrs. McKay announced from upstairs.

I leaned back, setting my hands in the pockets of my shorts.

"So where are you going for dinner tonight?" he asked to make small-talk while we waited, an amused lilt in his voice.

"The diner by the high school."

His eyes lit up and he beckoned me over to him. "Let me tell you her favorite..."

I leaned in cautiously, still in awe of this family. As soon as he finished telling me what Ingrid usually ordered, I saw a flash of green out of the corner of my eyes and looked up.

Of all the ugly and awful things I saw in my dreams because of that accident, I almost forgot them in the instant I saw her. Delicate brunette waves framed her face. The pale green and white striped summer sundress hugged her curves perfectly, tied with a bow just at her left hip. She stopped at the top of the steps, setting a lock of hair behind her ear shyly.

"Hi, Jared..." she greeted quietly. Her mom nudged her with her elbow to head downstairs.

"Hi..." I did my best to keep my expression neutral as she came down to us. I did not need to be ogling her in front of her parents...

But when she finally met us at the bottom of the steps, her parents beamed at us in satisfaction.

"Have fun, you too!" Her mom waved at us, while her dad pushed us out the front door.

Sure, no pressure...

Just giving this girl a date to remember.