Chapter 1

Katniss' POV

As I walk back to Victor's Village in District Twelve, I remember that the announcement of the Quarter Quell is tonight. I sigh softly, wondering how the Capital will send innocent children to die this time around.

I've been trying to keep myself away from the Capital's eyes, even after I married Peeta not long after the games, but more importantly to protect my family. Peeta usually speaks for the both of us in front of the media, and he keeps secrets from them way too well. Not just his secrets, but ours. Ever since the games I've been going to Peeta for a sense of protection, and intimacy. It was only a month after the games when he proposed to me, and then we got married a few weeks later in secret.

Maybe what has happened in the past 11 months will protect me from seeing the atrocities of the games again, after all, I am 36 weeks pregnant.

I want to go to my own house but suddenly I see myself at Haymitch's door. I knock softly and I'm surprised that he was sober enough to answer. He smiled at me. He was tipsy at the least. "Hello, sweethearts..." he said.
"Can I come in?" I ask, too stressed about the games to give him a proper greeting. Why am I stressed about it if I am now immune to it?
"Of course," he said, stepping aside and letting me into his house. I see empty liquor bottles cover every inch of table and shelf in the house. I roll my eyes, "Do you ever clean your house?" I ask.
"What do you mean? This is decorative," he said with a drunk chuckle before taking another sip of his alcohol. I sigh softly, "My mother wants to invite you to dinner before the Quarter Quell announcement. Just a nice gesture."
"I'm guessing she invited everyone," Haymitch replied.
"Yes, Peeta will be there, Effie and Cinna will join us later once the train drops her, Cinna, and the style team," I say. I was surprised when I got a letter from Cinna saying he would visit me in Twelve. He explained how much he missed me and wanted to spend more time with me. I appreciated that.

"Count me in, I'll bring my own drinks..." Haymitch said. After that, I turn towards the door. Haymitch places his hand on my shoulder, and I turn around. He takes a deep breath and smiles softly, blowing the scent of alcohol into my face, making me want a drink, but of course I won't take one. "Sweetheart, when I get back from mentoring, I am of your service for anything," Haymitch said.
I'm shocked by his statement. He wants to help me? Of course he does, he kept me alive. "I want your first task to be sobering up, you're not holding my baby when you're drunk."
He seems hurt by this. But Peeta would've agreed with me, "and take a bath before dinner."

When I told Haymitch that I was pregnant he almost fell over. Yes he was drunk, no surprise there, but he seemed very happy. I remember that Cinna doesn't even know about the pregnancy. I know he will want to be apart of it all. He's one of my most trusted friends now. Even though I haven't seen him since the games.

Haymitch sighed, but ultimately agreed. He pulled me into a hug, before letting me go. Just like at the victory tour in Eleven, after I witnessed an old man executed at the hands of the Peacekeepers. That was right after the games too. I've seen too much death in my 17 years of life. Now there are uprisings in my name, me being a symbol of freedom. But I've gone into hiding, and Peeta has temporarily taken my place, addressing those uprisings and telling the media how we agree with them.

As it draws closer to dinner, I see Prim rush to help my mom with food and setting the table. Prim will come to check on me every once in a while, but I'm too busy worrying. When I hear the knocks on the door, I know it's Peeta by the rhythm of the knocks. Prim wants to get it, but I tell her not to and I walk over to the door. I open it, where I'm instantly taken into a warm embrace, and multiple kisses. I can't help but to smile. He let go of me, but continues to hold my hand as I pull him inside and shut the door. I haven't been living with Peeta throughout the past month, but before then I was spending every night at his house. I decided to stay at my own house to spend more time with Prim before the baby comes. She knows I'll be distracted, but I just felt the need to be with her more often.