Chapter Forty-Three

The rain started just as my dad pulled up next to me. I fumbled with the door handle, and when I eventually got the door open I accidently slammed it shut after me. I could see my dad looking at me, but I kept my gaze forward and put on my seat belt.

"Are you drunk?" he asked quietly.

"Most probably," I replied, slouching down into the seat of the car.

He didn't reply, but instead started up the car and drove off. The journey was quiet, and I could feel my dad glancing at me every so often. The rain was lashing down on the windscreen, and I just watched the wipers go back and forth. 

I probably looked a mess, and it was probably obvious I had been crying. My dad didn't speak as he drove, which surprised me. Then again, maybe he didn't care.

I zoned out eventually, and I didn't notice that we had pulled up outside a 24hour McDonalds and my dad was getting out the car.

"Come on," he said, before dashing through the rain.

Drunk Alec was a hungry Alec, and therefore did not have the willpower to say no.

I ran through the rain - the best my drunk ass would allow - and wiped the rain off my face as I walked inside. My dad was standing in the queue and he pointed to a table when I came in. I went and sat down, and I pulled at out my phone.

I called Dylan. No answer. 

I called again. No answer.

"Who are you calling?" asked my dad, sitting down in front of my with a tray of food. He had ordered my usual, and if I wasn't feeling so sad I might have smiled at that.

"Dylan," I replied, shoving my phone back into my pocket and grabbing my food.

"Is everything okay with you two?" 

I stopped, burger raised halfway to my mouth, and looked at him. He looked serious, but I wasn't sure why he would want to hear me talk about Dylan.

"You can tell me, Alec."

I took a bite of my burger and chewed slowly, deciding what I was going to say.

"Things aren't good. His ex boyfriend kissed him and now I think they are going to get back together."

I surprised myself at how calmly I spoke, and continued to eat my food.

My dad raised an eyebrow at me, but there was no look of indifference from him. He had ordered himself a coffee, and took a drink before replying.

"Have you spoken to Dylan?" he asked.

"Why does everyone keep asking me that? No, I've not spoken to him," I sighed, knowing he was probably going to say the same thing as Kelly.

"Alec, I know I'm probably not the best person to be given relationship advice right now-" I snorted, which earned me a glare - "but what I will say is this. If I had spoken to your mother - if we had spoken more to each other, we might have worked things out. Instead, I made the wrong mistake of choosing not to talk, and instead didn't share my feelings with her and dealt with them in a way that I'm not proud of. You need to speak to Dylan - if you don't talk to each other, you'll never be able to move past this.

"You're young - people will make mistakes and that's how you learn. If you want to be with him, you have the time to fight for him if you want to."

He was right. Everyone was right. I wasn't speaking to Dylan because I was scared. I didn't want to hear what had to say in case I didn't like it - but he also didn't know what I wanted to say.

"Do you want to fight for him?" asked my dad.

"I love him," I said before I could stop myself. I just told my dad I was in love with a boy.

He surprised me and smiled, reaching out to take both of my hands -I let him.

"Then there's your answer," he replied. "I've not been the best dad, Alec, and I'm sorry. Even though I might not show it at times, I love you, and I only want you to be happy."

"Thank you," I said softly.

"I have a lot I want to explain and apologise for, but I'd rather wait till you're not struggling not to fall out your seat," he said, rolling his eyes as I tried to sit up straight.

"I need my bed," I said, finishing the last of my fries.

"That you do."

~

My dad dropped me off in front of the house. He told me that he was staying in a hotel and that if I needed anything to just give him a call.

It was late, so I tried to open the front door as quietly as I could. I managed to unlock the door and open it slightly when my phone ringtone started to blast out. I jumped and closed the door shut again - maybe a bit too loudly - and fumbled the phone out of my pocket.

Dylan.

I slumped down on the front step and took a deep breath before answering.

"Hello?"

"Alec," was all he said.

"Uh hi, I need to talk to you. But not right now, cause I'm a bit drunk and its late and I probably need to sleep-"

He laughed on the other end of the phone and my breath caught. I missed him. I missed him so much and we needed to fix things. I couldn't think properly right now - so I hung up.

Okay, that probably wasn't the coolest thing to do in that situation.

I texted him quickly and then turned off my phone.

I needed to clear my head and speak to Dylan tomorrow.

I had to fight, and I didn't want to loose.