Chapter One

"Alec Brooke! Detention!"

I sighed and went to help Cameron up from the ground, but he slapped my hand away, the other one clutching at his bleeding nose. I held my hands up in surrender and backed away towards the changing rooms. Cam continued to glare at me as I walked away, and I could see that Matt was holding back a grin. They knew he deserved it, and Cam probably knew he deserved it as well; he was just too pissed off to admit it right now.

I sat on the bench in the changing room and took out my phone to text Kelly. I told her that I had detention after school and to just leave without me. She'd get the message at the end of class.

I stripped off my P.E kit and got into one of the shower stalls and began to wash off the sweat and dirt. I could feel my knuckles beginning to bruise. Cam would have one hell of a fucked up face for the next week, that was for sure. I knew he would forgive me; he was one of my best friends after all.

I turned off the shower and dried myself off, quickly putting my school uniform back on before the rest of the class came in. I picked up my bag just as the door opened and stepped aside to let everyone past. Cam flipped me off.

Out in the hall Mr Conner was waiting. He handed me my detention slip without looking up from his clipboard and I took it from him.

"All week?" I exclaimed, waving it in front of his face.

"Mr Brooke, consider yourself lucky. The school policy has zero tolerance to violence. I could have you suspended."

I sighed and made my way down the hall. Mr Conner was usually a pretty laidback guy, but he was also known for being a complete asshole when he wanted to be.

I pushed my way through the P.E department doors just as the bell rang, and I headed past the oncoming flow of departing students towards the back of the school where the detention class was.

As I made my way towards detention, I collided with someone coming around the corner.

"Shit, sorry," I muttered, hoping it wasn't a teacher who was now going to give me a lecture in the use of bad language in school. I've had that lecture too many times.

"My bad," said a male voice, and I looked up and was relieved to see that it wasn't a teacher, but some guy who I recognised from some of my classes.

"Do you have deten- What the hell happened to your face?" I exclaimed, looking around at the guys face. I couldn't remember his name.

He looked confused, but then his eyes widened in understanding. He laughed before lifting his bag back up onto his shoulders and opening the classroom door. He let me go inside first and followed me in.

"My friend Mitch decided to 'accidently' throw paint on me. I take it I didn't get most of it off?" he asked, sitting down in the chair next to the wall. I sat down in the one next to him.

"Hate to break it to you, but your face is stained purple," I said.

"Damn it," he said, in mock anger.

I smiled and slouched down into my hair. Just then Ms. Jackson, a small old lady who was way too nice to run detention, came through the door.

"Well, well. Alec Brooke, what did I do to disserve this honour? I haven't seen you in here in a while," she said, coming forward to take my slip from me.

"I punched Cameron in the face."

She raised her eyebrows at me before shaking her head and smiling.

"Let my guess, he probably deserved it?"

"You got that right," I replied.

She went to over to the guy next to me and peered over the top of her glasses at the paint on the side of his face.