Chapter Twenty- Nine

When I opened my eyes the next morning, Dylan's head was resting on the pillow next to mine and he was already awake. He smiled when I opened my eyes.

"Hey," he said softly, brushing my hair gently off my forehead.

"Hey," I replied, yawning. "What are you thinking about?" I asked him, rubbing my eyes and stretching before settling back down, our noses nearly touching.

"Not much. We've got today and tomorrow, then we are back to school," he said, running his fingers up and down my arm.

School. It had crossed my mind a few times this past week, but I'd shoved all thoughts aside as I didn't want to overthink things.

"Does everyone at school know that you're gay?" I asked him.

"Honesty, I don't know. It's not something I have been deliberately hiding, but I've never been in a relationship with a guy at school. You're the only person I've ever told, apart from the obvious," he replied, still stroking my arm. He wasn't looking at me, but instead was watching his own fingers on my arm.

"Why'd you tell me?"

He smiled. "I was feeling happier and decided that if I just told people and didn't make such a big deal out of it, then it wouldn't be a big deal. I could have just said no when you asked if I had a girlfriend, and not told you I was gay, but I wanted to be friends and thought if I just said it at the start then it saved us from a possibly awkward conversation later on."

He looked away from his fingers to my face and cupped my cheek with his hand.

"If I hadn't have told you then, would we be here right now?" he asked gently, giving me a soft kiss.

"I think everything works out in the end," I said shyly. Dylan raised an eyebrow in question. "I mean, I believe that what's meant to happen will happen, regardless of what we do to either make things happen or to stop them. I think, even if you hadn't told me on that day, we'd have been here eventually."

"I think so too," he said, and I smiled.

~

I was sat on the couch with Dylan watching Attack on Titan when my mum got home. I paused the show when she came into the living room.

"Hi boys, have a good night?"

Thankfully Dylan answered, allowing me to try and hide the blush that was consuming my face.

"It was great! How was yours?" asked Dylan, trying not to smirk at my loss of speech.

"It was good! Nice to have a girls night," she replied, taking off her jacket.

"Where's your father?" she asked.

"He's not home yet."

She paused on the way to hang her jacket up and turned to look at me. "He's not?"

"Nope."

"Right, okay then."

Shit. Something was definitely wrong. Before I had time to ask she left the room and made her way upstairs.

"What's that about?" asked Dylan.

"I've got no idea. But something is going on and they're not going to be able to keep it from me and Luke much longer."

We continued watching tv until Dylan had to leave to go look after Sophie. I had loads of schoolwork to catch up on for Monday. I still wasn't sure how comfortable I would be at school being Dylan's boyfriend. I'd need to thing it over and speak to Dylan tomorrow about it.

I said goodbye to Dylan and went upstairs. Mum was on the phone in her room talking to someone, so I didn't disturb her and instead went and knocked on Luke's door.

"Come in."

I opened the door to find Luke still in his pyjamas in bed on his laptop. I went and sat down next to him with my back against the wall.

"How's it going?"

"Not bad," he said, closing over his laptop. "What's up?"

"Do you have any idea what's going on with mum and dad?"

He sighed. "I hoped you had figured it out. There's something they're not telling us, that's for sure."

I nodded. Luke was a smart kid. You wouldn't think he was smart. He's such a slacker, acting like he doesn't give a shit and falling asleep in class, but somehow, he still manages to do the work and get top grades. I used to think someone was doing his work for him, but he genuinely does it all himself. If only I had the ability to sleep in class and learn everything they teach us at the same time.

"You got any plans for tomorrow?" I asked him. I hadn't really spent any time with him over the holidays so thought it would be good to get out and do something.

"No, why?"

"Do you want to do something?"

"You've not got plans with Dylan?" he asked, smirking.

"What's the smirk all about?"

"Nothing. And sure, we can do something."

"Okay," I said slowly, standing up and making my way to leave. When I was at the door, Luke spoke. He'd opened his laptop back up and spoke without looking at me.

"Oh, and Alec? If you don't want mum or dad to figure out that Dylan is your boyfriend, it might be a good idea to not drool and stare at him every time he's in the room."

I turned around and stared at him, mouth open.

"Let me know what you want to do tomorrow," he said, still not looking up from his laptop and giving me a wave.

I left his room, closing the door behind me and went to my room and collapsed on the bed face down.

Like I said, he was a smart kid.