Chapter 10 - The Twins

Start from the beginning

"We know your changing the subjects!" Eleanor called out.

"Dry, flat biscuits anyone or chocolate bar?"

"Just grab a load of stuff and bring it over!" Jamie answered.

"Looks like bake beans for dinner though, we get a tin each!" I continued, walking back with an assortment of goods from what looked like breakfast biscuits to hard boiled sweets.

"That's a lot! Well at least where all going to be warm tonight baby!"

"Izzy! That's bad even for you."

"Just voicing what's going through all are heads."

"I was thinking about pizza actually, what I would kill for some!" David voiced digging into a pack of biscuits.

"And I can bet what Seth's thinking," Isabella winked, catching me glancing over at Eve again.

"I'm never gonna hear the end of this am I?"

"Nope!" she grinned.

"When we leaving?" It was Eve.

I looked behind me to see her sleepily sit up slowly with droopy eyes. "Soon, you hungry?"

"Starving," she mumbled.

I threw her a packet of biscuits, giving the twins the evils. They were both laying there in a heap grinning ear to ear. "We better start waking every one up, we don't want to be late." I could see David hiding a smile. I glared at them until they got up and started waking everyone else one up.

"You sleep well?" I asked Eve.

"Oh yes, how was the Doctors?" she smiled at me, a slight twinkle in the eye as if she knew something I didn't.

"They gave me pain killers, said it hadn't quite heal correctly."

"See I told you so!"

"Not helping! He also said he couldn't get me out of work as well which means we're doing Labor."

"Wait so we have to work?" one of the twins exclaimed.

"Well the world kind of just ended, little work is the last of are worries." Jamie answered.

"I don't even know what the fuss is about, a couple of sick people, what harm can they do!" the twin continued.

"You really don't know do you? Think of them as living zombies."

"Zombies?"

"But not dead if that makes sense. Look let's just hope you never get the pleasure of meeting one."

We began making are way out the tent, walking down towards are checkpoint, a lot of people already doing the same. The field was now full of tents and the twins where making a game of weaving in and out of them, jumping everyone from are tent.

"Their crazy!" I overheard heard Elliot say, that was probably the first time I heard him speak.

"You wait till you get to know them, it only gets better."

He laughed. "Its Seth right?"

"That's me, at your service."

"Elliot, you know them?"

"Narh only just met them but just spent the last couple of hours talking to them; the only person I know is Eve here."

"Hat me, do you know anyone here?" Eve asked.

"Oh yeah you were the two that bumped, and not that I can find."

"Eve blushed slightly. "Well welcome to the family looks like we're gonna be stuck for a while."

"I don't mind too much, do any of you know the blond?"

"Lydia? Why do you ask."

"Oh just wondering." He finished just as we came to a stop at the gathering line of people next to tree A.

"Line up in threes come on people, we haven't go all day!" It was Officer Davies. "Every morning at 0800 I don't want to be telling you this, I'm letting you off this once. Okay people take a seat for now while I fill you in on a few things." He waited for use to get in order and sit down before continuing. "Firstly are duties I've been told are outside the fence, felling and collecting wood by the sounds of it. We will be using hand tools as to not attract any unwanted attention. We will be escorted by a squad of soldiers until we get some of you trained up. But for today I'm just giving you the brief off what's going to be happening. Firstly in the morning we start off at training down on field two where we will be getting you into shape and teaching you some combat. Secondly, in the afternoon we will be outside the fence lines to do are duties. There are strict rules when going out. Number one: stick with the group. Number two: if you see something or someone shout and run to me or your solider, Number 3: if I tell you to do something or a soldier does you do it. Number four: if you attempt to run away I will personally shoot you, do I make myself clear. If you want to leave you know what the Major General said, in your own free time but good luck out there on your own. Anyway the same rules apply when we go out looting. Twice a week we spend a day out hunting for food, there's a lot of mouths to feed! That will be on Wednesday and Saturday. You hand in all the food you find, I will be checking your pockets if I have too! Finally Lake Day, as you've been told we have Wednesday morning so any time before 8, and Sunday evening which I know is your day off but you can only go after 5, good time to clean your clothes if you ask me. Now after that spiel you're needed on field 2 for physical analysis. Just follow this path round double time, go go go!"

And with that we where off, yet again running down the long trail to the prelude of torture, lucky for me I'm in shape and as long as my arm doesn't play up I should be fine. "What do you think they're gonna get us to do Eve?"

"I don't know, probably running in circles, the usual. Can't be that bad."

"But I don't like running!" One of the twins spluttered, running alongside us.

"Well you better get used to it because I don't think we can laze around here!" Jamie joined in, spurring forwards. "I've race you guys there!"

"I'm in!" Lydia said jogging behind use; she didn't even seem out of breath.

"Let's do it!" I said enthusiastically. "3, 2, 1 go!"

Lydia shot forwards like an arrow leaving the rest of use with dust in our mouths as she flew through the mass of people. The twins ended up lagging behind quite rapidly and all that was left was Eve, Jamie and I blasting a path through the multitude passing the startled faces off many others in are group. We where soon at the field heaving for the breath while Officer Davies stood waiting as if he had been waiting for hours.

"You're going to have to be a lot faster than that!" shouted the man next to him. "Right then you will address me as sir; I will be your trainer. It is my job to make sure you guys don't get everyone killed. I would advise you start taking up running before breakfast if you want any chance of surviving these sessions but for today let's see what you got."

***************************************************
Hey, thanks for sticking round! I'll warn you the next couple of chapters are a little plot and romance but then I have a few action packed parts which I can't wait to publish :) As always thank you for reading, do vote and comment if you enjoyed it I always appreciate it!