Chapter 24 : Realisation

"Come on Khushi. We need to leave. I have rescheduled the appointment to the day after," Ahir said. Khushi was numb. How can Ahir take a decision on her behalf like this? But she was too exhausted to argue. She just followed him back to the car. They drove back to her house and this time Ahir parked his car. As they got inside the elevator, Khushi felt anguished. Why was Ahir coming along. It would be rude of her to ask him why. After everything he has done, she can at least offer him some tea.

As the lift reached its destination, Ahir took a turn to Kabir's house. Not Khushi's. He paused and turned towards her. "You are coming with me. This needs to stop." He held her hand as the words left his mouth. Kabir was waiting.

They entered the house and Ahir asked Khushi to settle in. "I am tired Kabir. I am tired of this. Khushi, I cannot do this anymore. Be that bridge between both of you. I am your friend but you are never going to love me. And I know that. And I cannot see the both of you like this. You have gone through a lot. Given up a lot. And now, I won't go ahead and be the support Khushi needs. Not now. This time it has to be you Kabir. I cannot be the person whose shoulder Khushi seeks. It has to be yours. Everytime there's a storm, you have to be her anchor now. I am done. I cannot be engulfed in this sea of emotions day after day." Ahir's voice trembled as he spoke without taking any pause.

As he left Kabir's house, he looked back and said, "Khushi, I will be there. But only when you and Kabir would have sorted this out. I will still come for the appointment day after. But only after you guys have taken this decision together. This is not the end. This is a beginning. And both of you need to understand that the decision is both of yours. Not Kabir's alone. Not yours alone."

As he walked towards the elevator, he realised that this is it. Khushi will never be his. He cut that one thread that always bound them together. The one where Khushi would lean on him. But he had to do it. Khushi and Kabir were meant to be. And he no longer wanted to lean on false hopes. If Khushi was ever to be his, it would be friendship, and nothing else. His heart was beating faster than ever. But he had to do this. He had to be a friend today. What he did was needed.

Kabir and Khushi, engulfed in the silence of emotions, sat still. "Why are you questioning my decision Kabir?" Khushi spoke, at last. "Because if we have this baby, then it means that we have a future together," Kabir says. Khushi realised, almost instantly. This was not about the life inside her. This was about the life they want to build. This was about the future they want to build together. His insecurities, his fear. The baby was the answer for all the things that could go wrong. He wanted the baby for all the wrong reasons.

"Kabir, what if I promise you that I will never leave you? That I will always be yours? Baby or no baby, nothing can change this, nothing can change us..." Khushi said, holding his face in her hands. Kabir's face hung low now. He was broken. He was on the verge of giving up what they had. It is her decision. And it is finally time for him to be the support she needs. He cannot let go of her now. If Khushi wanted to go ahead with the abortion, he should be supportive. But something doesn't feel right. What if they had the baby. What if it's actually perfect? Their future? Even with the baby?

"Khushi, I am in this with you. But I just want you to think a little. We can be parents. You would make the perfect mother. And I promise to be a worthy father. I know I have not been a worthy partner. But I promise to make it up to you. Why do you think we are not ready?" he asked, almost innocently like a child.

A silent Khushi looked on. She was about to make the biggest decision of her life. One that would change their future. Forever.