༒ Eighty-nine ༒

Start from the beginning

Valentina used to play this song all the time when we were little, he had remembered it. Once the melody stops the priest walks a little more to the front, holding his hands up as he usually does.

'Today, we are here to remember our loved ones. To remember the souls who have fought to protect us. Today we are remembering our Crown Princess who has left us way to early', his voice turns into a whisper when my father sinks down on his seat, Sir Woods following his lead.

'Princess Valentina Indira Martinez was in the moment of her life where everything would change. She would spend her life with a loved one, but decided to risk it, only to help us'. My stomach turns around, I still had no idea what Valentina had been thinking when she ran on that field and I would never know for certain.

Most of the people thought she had tried to save us, but something told me she wanted to prove herself. That is what she always had wanted.

'Let us all pray for Valentina Martinez, another soul at the side of our founder. May she have a good place in the afterlife'. We all take each other's hands, praying for the souls in heaven. After a whole minute of silence, the priest walks to both the coffins and makes his own prayers in silence, all of us waiting without breathing.

'I want to invite our new Crown Princess, Rosalia Indira Martinez, to speak up for us', the priest announces. I stand up, rubbing my long black dress when I look behind me, Cameron standing up after one nod. Both of us walk to the middle of the tribune, next to Valentina's coffin.

Some people look at us in wonder, other's don't even seem to notice him behind me. I open my paper, my hands shaking when I look at my speech. Trying to get control over my breath I open my mouth, starting the speech I had prepared for way too long.

'After what happened during the war I lost all of my hopes. Not only did I lose my sister, I also lost my best friend. Levi Woods has been by my side ever since I was a little child. I used to look up at him, he shared me different fighting techniques because I was bored by the etiquette I had to learn as a princess'. A few people grimace, Jade included when I say this.

'Not only was Levi a good friend, he has been my brother. We used to do everything together. Our relationship only became stronger when our other friend, Jade Orsini, entered the castle. I couldn't be more grateful for those memories'. My voice fades away a little when I see tears in Jade's eyes.

'Eight years ago I lost my mother in a war with Syrilia. Although, we have figured out that she wasn't killed by one of their soldiers and I think it is my duty as new Crown Princess to be honest about that. Both my mother and sister got killed by a soldier of Ivory', I say louder. People look at each other in shock, not understanding why I was telling this.

'Ivory has been after us for only one reason and I feel that I have to take responsibility for that. They are after a power I inherited from my mother. The Deathly Scream'. My father looks up at me when the mumbling starts, not at all mad because I was telling the truth.

'I am doing everything I can to protect our Kingdom, that is one thing I can guarantee you. My sister had a notebook where she wrote laws in for her future life as Queen. Today I decided to enter one of those laws, only to guarantee us more protection'. I put my paper down, realising I could talk without it and hand it to Cameron behind me.

'From now on, female soldiers are allowed in whole Ethura!' I announce. Some eyes widen in excitement and others start clapping grateful. Even Ezra was clapping for me, a vague glance of pride on his face. Once the clapping fades away I take my stand again, remembering where I had stopped my speech.

Again, hope had taken place for fear. All these years of freedom had been for nothing, we knew what was coming ahead of us. It was only starting now. I look around the Great Hall in front of me, my family, soldiers and our staff, waiting for me to say something about what I had seen on that field. I had no words, I had no explanation. Yet, I was the one who should give them hope and as crown princess of Ethura, I had no clue what to tell them.

I still can see the terror in my father's eyes when he stares at me. Reminding him of the two woman's he had lost over the years. He couldn't lose me too. I take a step forward, followed by the one man in my life and straighten my back. Not showing my fear.

'Everyone is born to die', I say loud, remembering what we were actually doing here, my voice echoing against the walls of this sudden silent place. 'Some of us die to early. Others never get a chance to live, even when they are alive. We aren't here today only to remember the sadness of what the war has brought us. Life isn't about independence but also about love'. I look over to August, leaning against a wall on the side.

'As someone told me before: love is a rare feeling, you can't choose who you fall in love with', I speak up. 'I didn't know who my sister had chosen as her Crown Prince. I still have no clue but all I could hope for was that she would've been glad about her choice. I am not romantic, but maybe my love can be used for other purposes. Ethura is my love and I will do anything to protect us', my voice softens.

With that the funeral ends, soldiers bring both the coffins outside, followed by me and my brother. My father walking behind us. I would've never thought this day would've come. Yet, still we were here, walking behind the souls that had left us. Trying to remind the good in this world.