༒ Eighty-three༒

⇺             ⇻ ♕ ⇺             ⇻

Once the Great Hall was filled with our guests we kept standing behind the door, waiting for our sign to walk in. Elliott and I stood in the front, me holding his arm when my nerves kept raising up. It wasn't because of the announcement, I kept hearing this voice in my head. A warning. But I hadn't found my father anywhere.

I could barely hear what was happening around me. All I could hear was the upcoming scream of my mother again. I had to focus on the event, I couldn't make a mistake right now.

Behind us, the families of the candidates had gathered around, starting with Cameron's family. I could feel the tension, no one said a word. Madame Orsini was talking with a guard and once she walked towards us I could see the fear in her eyes also.

'In one minute the gates will open!', she shouts so everyone could hear her. I grab Elliott's arm a little tighter, him looking concerned at me. The day had been good so far, almost perfect. For months I had hoped that the Selection would be over and now that it was actually happening, I realised that would mean Cameron wouldn't be around anymore.

He would work day and night again, trying to help his family. And I would spend the rest of my life looking at Theodore or Ezra at the side of my sister.

'Everyone quiet!' Madame Orsini urges and only a few seconds later the usual music sounds in the Great Hall, the doors open slow only to show us the biggest crowd of people I had ever seen in one room. If I had thought the gala ball was crowded, I was wrong. Literally no one could enter this room anymore.

Elliott and I walk forward, the cameras in the front following us. I could barely recognize anyone in the crowd and I could see Elliott was thinking the same. They had brought citizens to the castle, these people didn't work here. The priest stands on the tribune as usual when Elliott and I take a seat in the front, followed by the families who one by one get announced.

I could tell Audrey was proud and so seemed her parents. The only person who wasn't smiling was Ezra's mother, whose eyes stood wide open, not even blinking for a moment. I turn around to look at Jade and Estelle who both seem restless to figure out who Valentina had chosen. I smile at both of them before turning around, staring at the priest.

'Our Crown Princess!' He announces when the door opens again and Valentina walks in, her golden dress bigger than mine, her crown higher than I had ever seen. I could tell she was happy, her eyes twinkling in the light of the sun. She looked breathtaking. The three candidates followed her anxiously, even Ezra wasn't his usual self.

Behind them my father walked, guarded by two soldiers in uniform. If he was nervous he could hide it well. I always thought my father had a weird personality. He could fool everyone he wanted, showing the biggest smile even when he was terrified.

We all clap, some of the citizens point at my sister in disbelief, their eyes full of jealousy. It made me laugh for a moment. The only person that didn't seem interested was Olivia. Once our gazes met she looked away quickly, following my sister to the tribune. I stared at her in confusion for a while before focusing on the main event again.

The candidates had taken place on the three thrones in front of us, Cameron smiling excited when he saw his sister. My heart melting a little more. Val and my father stood next to our priest, ready to take the word.

'Dear family, friends and citizens', my father started. Everyone stopped clapping in a few seconds, sitting on the edge of their seats. 'Today we all will find out the news we have been dying to find out for seven months. But first I have to thank every one of you. We couldn't have done this without the work our staff has conducted, neither could we have done this without the support of our other Kingdoms. Let us all pray for a better future!' He announces before everyone starts clapping again.