༒ Seventy-four ༒

⇺             ⇻ ♕ ⇺             ⇻

I walk through the corridors, completely devastated about what has happened. My sister had been afraid I wouldn't come back alive, and I had been selfish to think she was mad at me for no reason at all.

A crowd of maids walks past me when I see Jade between them, talking excited with the others. Never in my life I had heard them giggling, it seemed like the worrying was over for everyone, except for the ones who knew what was coming. I walk past them, looking out of the window to a new crowd of soldiers that are being send to the village. August being one of them.

I stare at him for a moment, realising how tired he must be when he climbs on his horse and they all walk towards the gates.

'Rosa!', Jade says excited when she stands next to me, not at all seeing my despair.

'Now that the families are joining us I thought of making another dress, it all depends on what you want of course. I was thinking of a long red dress with roses on them but ...' her voice slows down when I don't look at her, tears behind my eyes.

'What happened?' She whispers concerned. I take her arm softly, dragging her along to a less crowded place. It seemed that the whole corridor was filled with staff to prepare us.

'I completely misunderstood my sister', I notice calm. She nods her head not understanding at all.

'If you mean about the person she has chosen, don't worry. The majority of us think she is going for Theodore, others think Ezra but Cameron isn't much talked about'.

'I don't care about the crown prince, Jade', I say desperate.

'My sister had been afraid that I wouldn't come back alive after my escape. I thought she was mad at me only because she was bored', I explain. Jade lays her hand on my shoulder, trying to comfort me when I keep on babbling. 'I'm a horrible sister', I decide helpless.

'Rosa, remember that at this moment you have bigger issues than this. I am honestly concerned that the other war is much closer than we believe. Maybe that is why your father invited the families, if this war is honestly about you or the Selection then they are in danger', she whispers almost noiseless.

I stare in the distance, letting every word of her sink in. It seemed that I was always missing the most important part of every situation. Jade could be right about this. It totally made sense. She gestures her arm and I take it when we walk through the corridor together, looking at everyone who is helping.

'You think the war is close?' I ask again.

'I believe there is much of a chance', she notices. I nod a little when I see Cameron leaning against a wall, talking with Ezra who smirks at him in his usual way. Cameron catches my gaze, smiling briefly when he sees the terror in my eyes. His way of trying to make me calm.

'I hope you two will find each other one day', Jade smiles vague at me. I stare back at Cameron, his messy hair, the interest when someone talks to him.

I couldn't lose him. But what if I already had?

⇺ ⇻ ♕ ⇺ ⇻

'Elliott?' I ask when I walk in his bedroom. The usual candle light welcoming me as always. He sits behind his desk, not even bothering to look up when I take a seat next to him.

'We have to talk', I insist, harsher than normally. After a while he looks up at me, closing the book in front of him. His eyes a little red, as if he has cried.

'I didn't mean to hurt her', he whispers. I think back of yesterday when he had betrayed Valentina. I couldn't blame him, but he had to talk to me.

'Elliott, you are my brother, you have to explain something to me', I say soft. He leans back in his seat, not at all a little boy anymore. He was growing up and I could see he didn't like it at all.

'Valentina is your sister, just like I am. I know you don't have a good relationship with her but we have to support each other', I explain rather quick. Not sure how to form my sentences.

'Support each other? She has never talked to me Rosa. Only when she had too'.

'Maybe that is the problem with us. I'm not sure if you remember but before our mother died, Val and I were inseparable, and we both loved our little brother. It only seems that father didn't show that much interest in us anymore after he lost the love of his life', I say softer. Elliott looks down at his legs, shaking his head softly.

'Father and I have never talked normally. Neither did Valentina and I', he whispers. The candle light shines in his eyes, tears appearing when he says what is bothering him.

'We are the victims of our fathers decision, but we can change that. I've talked to Val and realised that I might have been wrong about her. She does care about us, I don't want you to think she doesn't care, Elliott'. A tear runs down my face when I stare at my brother, hoping he will understand how much this bothers me. It was always him and I against Val and our father. That isn't how family should work. He nods softly when I take his hand, both of us keeping quiet for a moment.

'I didn't mean to betray her. It just came out', he admits.

'I know', I whisper through my tears when I can see he is about to cry also.

My father had made the mistake to set us aside at a very young age. Only being focused on the future crown princess. My sister was lucky to be grown up with a father who cares about her. Elliott and I could only dream about that.