Chapter Twelve

Collettes POV:
I looked around, this must be a sign. "Madame..." Reyer said trying to gain my attention. "Madam, hello...we need to rehearse." He said tapping his baton on his stand. I snapped back into consciousness. "Sorry monsieur it won't happen again I said stashing the rose beneath the others. I stepped forward attempting to do the choreography with Piangi missing. "Good once more starting from the fifth line." I complied and sang from the fifth line giving it everything I could. He applauded and Piangi walked back in through the curtain. We rehearsed a couple more times, Piangi just barely hitting the notes. "That's enough for today, be ready for the performance." People started clearing out and I walked back over to the rose basket, the rose was still there I rubbed the black ribbon between my fingers before picking up the rose and slipped through the back curtain walking to my dressing room to change. I slid on my dressing gown and sat myself down at the vanity reading over the music. I practiced as well as I could, it was growing dark and I was getting tired. I refused to stop working though, I needed to get this perfect I needed to impress him. My voice felt hoarse and my eyes could barely stay open, I slowly lay my head down on the vanity and fell asleep.
Eriks POV:
I hid in the shadows of box five observing the rehearsal. Piangi was growing to be my biggest mistake, with Carlotta out of the way I might be able to dispose of him. Finally Reyer came to his wits and confronted him. "No no no monsieur your doing it all wrong, it's a cavatina then a cabaletta then ending with the cadenza." He said annoyed, "Ok, from the beginning of your part Madame, Piangi go backstage...and for god sake learn your ordering." Reyer finished as Piangi disappeared behind the curtain. I fought with myself if it was worth it or not I turned to leave Box 5 when I heard her voice. "No thoughts within her head but thoughts of joy,"—"No dreams within her heart but dreams of—-Love." Her voice was melodic, it was perfect. I walked backwards returning to my place to listen to her. She stopped to look at the roses, I knew she saw it. She was almost entranced for a while before Reyer regained her attention. Hearing her sing my music was unlike anything I've ever heard. After a while Piangi came back out, he was closer to pitch than before but that didn't matter Collettes voice soared above his. After the rehearsal she walked back over to the roses holding the black ribbon from my rose between her fingers. I slipped back into the shadows leaving for my lair. I could hear her voice from her dressing room, I walked up to the mirror watching from the shadows. She hit every pitch but she was tiring herself and her voice. She dropped her head on the vanity falling asleep. I couldn't let her stay like that, I walked over to her swooping her into my arms and carrying her over to her bed blowing out the candle and placing the rose on top of her sheet music. I slipped back into the shadows...my angel was bringing my music to life.