08

"What time is Madja coming?" Feyre said through the bathroom door.

"Noon, but I have to go meet with the captain of the city guards before then."

"And me?"

Rhys walked into the tiled shower room and leant against the windowsill.
"They aren't expecting both of us, but if you wish to come then feel free."

He got up from his perch and then walked towards Feyre before pulling her into a warm embrace.

"But I thought, since you've been so busy the past few days, you might want to take the morning to tell Elain."

"Shit!" she said, "I haven't told Elain!"

Rhys let out a little laugh, "I thought so."

Feyre walked to the adjacent bedroom and began to do her hair in the vanity mirror. She left it down but wanted to add a few curls for texture. Her mate pressed a kiss to her cheek after a small goodbye, telling her that he would be back soon, and to stay safe.

--+-

A few hours later, Feyre made her way downstairs. She had no clue how to tell Elain. Of course, she would be happy at the news, but it was still nerve-racking to tell her sister that she was pregnant.

"I've got some news for you," Feyre muttered. The blonde-haired woman with flowers entwined in her braid perked up, sliding out of her current seat.

"Due something happen?" she asked.

"No it's nothing bad, it's just..." Feyre trailed off. How could she put it?

"Feyre?"

"I'm pregnant," the high lady said. She guessed that it would just be easier to say it outright. The worry that filled Elain's eyes immediately vanished. Instead, they lit up like the sun.

"Holy mother, you really scared me."

It seemed like she didn't need to bother being nervous in the first place. Elain was extremely sweet, so sweet that Feyre wanted to roll her eyes at her own hesitation.

"for a minute, I thought Tamlin had done something else," she said.

"He has," drawled a voice from the door. Feyre looked up to see Rhys leant against the frame, eyes troubled and dark. Wordlessly, he took his mate's hand and led her into the hall.

"Rhys, what is it?"

A tear fell down his cheek and she quickly wiped it away. He didn't cry often, and h was still silent. But when she urged him through the bond he finally spoke.

"The puca," he whispered, "they're all dead."

-+-

"What?" Feyre breathed, eyes wide.

"He killed them."

"But I thought they came with-" she trailed off as her voice broke.

"Some of his guards got to them before they could be winnowed out," Rhys muttered, "he killed their families too. Little siblings."

A helpless noise came from the back of Feyre's throat and her mate caught her as her knees buckled. It was all her fault, she thought. If she hadn't asked them for help...

Not your fault, you didn't do this.

Rhys... if I-I hadn't.