07

Rhysand was already gone when Feyre awoke the next morning. A steaming cup of coffee and a few biscuits sat on the bedside table, along with a note.

Good morning Feyre darling, it read, the refugees have arrived downtown and some fae have made quite a scene because of it. They, of course, are frightened and confused. Please join me asap.

Love the most dashing of them all, your mate.

She scoffed at the ending; his humour never did seem to fail him. As she stretched her arms, Feyre threw her legs over the bed and stood. When her body was upright, morning sickness hit her like a tsunami.

She immediately bent over the toilet. She supposed she would have to get used to this - Madja said it would last for another few weeks or so, unfortunately. When she was finished, she picked up some clothes, got ready and did her hair.

When she went downstairs, upon first glance, the house was empty - noticeably from the lack of male laughter. However, when she walked into the kitchen she found quite the opposite.

Nesta sat at the table, a mug of steaming coffee in her hands. She hated the river house; hated it enough that it was suspicious to see her in here at this time of the morning.

"I came to see Elain, if that's what you're wondering," she turned around slowly, staring at Feyre face on, "but I found the house empty when I arrived. I assumed you would be off saving the day with your mate."

"Rhys is a sensitive Illyrian baby and wouldn't dare wake me," feyre giggled, sliding into the seat opposite her, "but yes, I should be off with him."

"Calming down the confused bitches I saw on the way up here, I suppose?"

Feyre nodded.

"What the hell did you do in the spring court to require taking refugees?"

"We uncovered a plot, one attempting to kidnap me and probably other girls Tamlin finds to his pleasure."

"Well, good job," Nesta replied, "take that bastard down."

The High Lady let out a small laugh and stood up, going to find Rhys in the city. Her sister stood with her.

"When were you going to tell me that you were with child?"

How Nesta knew, Feyre didn't know.

"When the time was right."
And with that, she winnowed into the town square.

-+-

The spring fae stood out drastically against her own citizens. Their modest (but bright and rather plain) clothes seemed to scream against the dark tones and revealing style of Feyre's own.

She looked up from the sea of people to see Rhys standing on a little platform, trying to ease their minds. Little was being done.

Feyre winnowed up to the stage and the fae quickly fell silent. Rhysand slid his hand into hers as she addressed the crowd.

"I know you're frightened," she said, "I know this is not your home and you don't even know where your home is anymore because of the acts brought forth from your own court."

She clenched her mate's hand tighter. The citizens had fallen silent to listen.

"I know because that's how I felt when I first came to live here. I understand that you are scared by the night court because that was what you've been taught, but we will not harm you."

Rhysand now spoke up. This time, they did not flinch when his voice was carried across the open space, fluttering in the wind.

"We only wish to help. There are booths around the square with city guards ready to help you fill out identification forms. We will provide you with places to stay until you can get your own homes and there are volunteers to answer your questions."