03

After Rhysand had sent Amren to go and find Madja, Feyre left the bathroom and sat upon the bed. Her mate noticed the tears pooling in her eyes and gathered her in his arms.

It's not too late to go home, darling, he said, you've fallen ill. It's perfectly acceptable.

I won't be seen as weak, never again, she replied.

Rhysand's wings unfurled and wrapped around her like a cocoon. The light shone through the membrane and cast a black and purple glow upon their skin.

This is my old room, she whispered.

He mate took a sharp intake of breath. Feyre could feel the anger trembling in his blood, but when their eyes met, he softened.

"This was a mistake."

Feyre shook her head, "we did what we needed to do. We had to be here today to prove a point."

Madja and Amren suddenly appeared. The latter left a second later after running assessing eyes over her High Lady,
obviously deeming her well enough to go. Knowing Amren, she probably already knew what was happening.

"What's the problem?" the healer asked urgently, setting her bag down next to Feyre.

"I was sick. I thought it might have something to do with... my cycle."

"You only throw up when you're in severe pain on your cycle. Nothing else," she gestured for her to lay down.

"Well, it's more the lack of thereof," Feyre whispered. Rhys grasped her hand and perched next to her on the bed.

"I-I mean it could just be nervousness but-"

"You think you're pregnant?" Madja cut in with a knowing look. She knew the high lady was a little scared to say the words out loud.

"Yes."

He looked at her with buckets of emotion. The thought of her being pregnant obviously didn't cross his mind, but he seemed extremely happy at the prospect. Who wouldn't be?

Madja lifted her dress until it was just below her bra. She reached into the satchel and pulled out a small clear crystal. It was smooth and round as if it had been dug from the soil and then polished.

She placed it on Feyre's abdomen and hovered a hand above. A small ball of light radiated from her palm. Healers magic.

"Congratulations, High Lady. Your suspicions were correct."

A small noise broke from her as she shot up. Rhys gave her the biggest grin she had ever seen as he enveloped her in a hug, his wings flaring wide.

She sobbed into the crook of his neck and without even looking, Feyre could tell that tears of his own ran down his face. When the pair pulled away, he kissed her lightly and placed a large hand on her stomach.

We're having a baby, he said into her mind. After a moment, they slowly looked back at Madja who was watching the scene with admiration and joy. But then it slowly dawned on them that they were still in the Spring Court. Who they were with.

What would Tamlin do if he found out?

-+-

Feyre paced around the room long after the healer left. The Inner Circle had gathered in her quarters, grins of delight still plastering their faces. Feyre thought back to a moment ago when she told them. Azriel's reaction was the best.

He didn't usually show emotion but he seemed to have been overcome with it.

After patting Rhysand on the back and giving him a small hug, the shadowsinger walked towards Feyre.

His steps were hard and unfaltering - the way a warrior moved. But when he wrapped his arms around her torso and rested his chin on top of her head, he was extremely gentle.

He was also extremely tall; the High Lady came up to his mid-chest. Nonetheless, she burrowed into his embrace and inhaled the scent of night chilled mist and cedar.

Shadows danced around his head and she could tell that they were slowly creeping around her body as well, to form a shield of soft darkness. She loved his shadows.

"I will protect your baby with my life," he whispered into her hair. Feyre thought those were the best words she had ever heard.

"As your friend, I say to do what makes you the happiest and that a little revenge would be nice," Mor snapped her out of the new memory, "but as your third in command, I say get the hell out of here."

"Okay," Feyre stopped her pacing for a moment to talk, "I'd we leave now, Tamlin will believe we are weak and take advantage of that. He will see it as an opportunity to snatch me back, to take away everything we've worked for."

They nodded at the High Lady's final decision, trudging out of the room with a sigh.

I will never let him hurt you again, Rhys promised, pulling his mate into his lap and wrapping his arms around her waist.

I know.

"If he steps one foot out of line, I'll rip his balls off," Feyre let out a choked cough at his words.

"It won't be that hard, they're very small."

He laughed quietly before looking into her eyes. So much emotion swirled in them that the violet of his iris seemed to glow.

I can't believe you're pregnant. We're really going to have a baby.

Feyre's answering kiss conveyed every positive thought that couldn't be put into words.

-+-

The High Lady sat at her old vanity, staring at her reflection as Mor did her hair. She was never really good at such things, often just leaving it down and free-flowing. But her friend used touches of magic to curl the ends. The small gems that looked like stars (that she had pinned to her scalp), matched the navy blue of her dress.

It was one of the ones that Rhys' mother had made. Another gown fit for the Night Court.

Mor, on the other hand, donned her classic red gown. The large slit up the side showcased a tanned leg and dark kohl-lined her eyes.

"Done!" she chirped as she placed the last accessory in Feyre's hair. Rhysand looked up from the book he was reading, set it down and watched her through the mirror.

"You look ravishing, darling."

Mor fake gagged as she left the room.

She took his outstretched hand and stood up from the stool, heels clinking softly on the marble floor. Before they went into the cave for the rite, they were to have a dinner.

"Ready?" he asked.

She wasn't really sure if she knew the answer.