Chapter 35: Ending Things with the Wrong One

Start from the beginning

“Can you do me a favour?” She asked me, out of the blue.

“Uh, um sure. What’s up?”

“I’m going to see Cody tomorrow and-” Just to the sound of that I was already regretting my answer. She always needed to rub it in, and it was hurting me so much. Every time. “I- I would like you to come with me. I need you to be there with me.”

I sighted again. “Fine.”

She looked at me and smiled. “Thanks for the ride.”

“No problem,” I smiled too. “Good night.”

***

Laura’s POV

The temperature was really sad this morning. Rain was pouring down so hard and everything was in a shade of dark grey. Was it a sign? I had no idea…

Ross and I met up at around noon because I needed to go talk to Cody. And yes, I really wanted him to be there with me.

As we were driving to Cody’s condo, the loud thunderstorm made us shiver inside the car. We weren’t talking or looking at each other, but our silent was yet so loud.

When we got to his luxurious condo, we got out of the car and ran to the main entrance so we wouldn’t get too wet.

But we didn’t succeed. The doorman opened us the door, and we got inside soaking wet. I looked around me, scanning the lobby to find the elevators. When I spotted the big gold doors, I walked towards them and pressed the up button. I looked back at Ross and flashed a small smile. He did too, but the feeling that came with it was so strange and awkward. When the doors finally opened, I got in and he followed me. I then pressed the button and the doors closed.

42

This is going to be a long ride, I thought.

I rested my back on the wall of the elevator and looked at Ross. I haven’t even told him what I was going to do here and why I needed him here. I realised it was so kind and thoughtful of him to have agreed to be by my side. He always cared so much about me, and recently I feel like I haven’t showed him how thankful I am to have him in my life. And this is why I needed to go see Cody today.

Suddenly, the lights in the elevator started to flicker. I looked at him, scared.

“What’s going on?” I asked, as I glanced up at the shaking lights.

“I- I don’t know.”

A few seconds later, the elevator was filled with darkness. “Shit!” Just as I was about to look for my phone for some light, I fell on the floor.

The elevator had stopped.

We weren’t moving anymore.

Just like in my worst nightmares.

Stuck in an elevator.

“Oh my God, Ross! What- What are we doing!?” I gulped.

“I- I’ll call someone.” He said as he picked up the phone in the little box on the wall. “Hi. Yes. Well, we’re stuck in the elevator. Okay. Oh. Well, thank you very much.”

I glanced at him. “The whole street doesn’t have electricity anymore. All the building of the street are in the same situation. They’ll do the best they can to help us, but right now we’ll have to wait until the power comes back. He said it might take a few minutes like it might take hours.” He explained.

I took off my jacket and sat on the ground. I sighted. Why do these things happen to me? Soon enough, Ross joined me on the floor. Our arms were touching and his skin brushing mine made me shiver.