We walk a little further outside the main entrance when he lays a hand on my shoulder out of nowhere.

'Are you busy today?' Theo asks curious.

'No?'

'Well, I thought maybe we could sit outside and paint together. We didn't really have a chance to meet each other', he explains. I think about the missing pages, the upcoming gala and back at Theo who still has hope to meet his maybe future sister-in-law.

'I would love that'.

'Great! I'll go to my room and bring some paint and canvases with me', he says before turning around and running up the stairs. A clever gentlemen.

⇺ ⇻ ♕ ⇺ ⇻

Only five minutes later he came back, completely out of breath when we walked to an open spot around the castle. On our left we could see the waterfall, and in front of us only a miles long view of little houses and streets, the village.

'This is my favourite place around the castle', he explains when we sit down on a blanket and open the paint cans.

'I mostly spend my time in the Rose Garden, it has always felt safe', I answer, staring at the way he mixes paint to get the perfect colour. 'Tell me something about yourself, Theo'.

'Well, I'm a hard worker if I say so myself', he starts, when he looks for the right view to paint.

'I believe that', I notice which makes him smile a little shy.

'My family has always taught me to work hard, even though we have enough money to live. I try not to spill it. My father always tells me that one day if I find the right woman I should use that money to take care of her and our children', Theo explains, fascinating me with the way he is raised. 'My mother has her own business in jewellery as I told in the interview and my father has his own atelier. He learned me how to paint'.

'That sounds amazing', I whisper, realising I have to start painting also. I take a brush and some paint, trying to catch up with the boy next to me.

'I can guarantee you that is true. My childhood wasn't bad', he laughs a little and I wonder if maybe he misses his home.

'Why did you decide to register for the Selection?' I ask curious, his smile fading a little. 'You don't have to tell me ...'

'No, no it's fine. I'm sorry. I am not sure myself actually. See, my family used to be one of the richest of Ethura but one time my grandfather lost a bet and we almost lost everything we had. During the last war, my sister got sick by a disease and back then we didn't have the money to give her what she needed', he says soft, holding his brush at only one place, staring down at it.

'I'm sorry, Theo', I lay my hand on his arm, trying to comfort him although I'm not sure if he even notices.

'From that day I promised myself that I would take care of my family way better than my grandfather did. I think that is one of the main reasons I wanted to join, I don't want to worry about the fact that I can't pay for medicines when someone I love needs them. I know this sound selfish but I do love your sister in a kind of way', he looks at me and my eyes have filled with tears by hearing his story. I thought he had everything he needed, but this again proves that you don't always know everyone's story.

'I'm sure you love my sister', I say before taking my hand back and paint again. Once we are finished it is clear who of us the artist is. Theo has found a way to paint the landscape so abstract that it almost looks like a picture.

My waterfall on the other hand, was nothing than a blue spatter, but we could laugh about it. It felt good not to worry for once. Theodore was great company, especially when I accidentally painted a part of his arm with blue paint.

'You want to do body painting?' He asks sarcastically before taking his brush and gives me a red smudge on my forehead, both of us laughing as loud as we can.

'You should meet my friend, Jade. She also paints amazing', I tell him when we walk back to the castle. Staff look at me weird when they see the paint on my forehead.

'Isn't she your maid?' He asks unsure. 'Yes, she is and she is full of hidden talents', I assure him.

'I'd like to see her paintings'.

'One day', I answer before we leave each other and I take my horrible painting inside my bedroom. Jade looks up at me from cleaning my desk, her eyes widening a little.

'O, wow', she mumbles trying to hide a smile. 'I hope this paint gets off, otherwise I have a problem at the gala', I laugh and she laughs with me.

'Even Theodore can't make an artist of me', I say while showing her my painting.

'You are a horrible painter, I'm sorry', she laughs so loud and I roll my eyes with a smile, ready to prepare for the gala. We still have one suspect and that is the Queen of Syrilia and even though I'm not looking out for it, we have to watch her.