Chapter 1: "I Don't Want To Leave This Place"

*This chapter is especially dedicated to @stitch4321, @HeyloReylo and KiraNaberrie, who kept me going on with this story! *

~*~

The war was over. It was finally over. And the cries of joy and the music rang across the whole galaxy.

Rey and Ben have found a hidden cave up in a rocky mountain, where green meadows spread beneath, filled with people celebrating their freedom. The sounds of music and laughter reached the mouth of the cave where Ben sat cross-legged on a slate.

Strange, though, that his body did not hurt anymore. Maybe when Rey had brought him back, she had healed his wounds as well.

The fiery sun was setting over the range of mountains, casting a golden light and making the stone seem red.

Ben was gazing off in the distance, his mind lost to the sea of green of that planet, streaked here and there with balloons and decorations. They are celebrating the escape of my wrath, he thought bitterly. Would he get to live all of his remaining days up here in this cave, thinking about all the bad he had done?

But a sudden, gentle touch on his shoulder woke him up from his thoughts. His head jerked up, his eyes fixed right on her.

Rey just smiled and sat down next to him. She seemed happy. But still he had so many questions to ask her. And he was afraid to do so.

His head turned again to gaze in the distance. He wished he were there with them, to celebrate. He wished he were with them from the beginning.

And then something soft brushed against his neck as Rey laid her head on his shoulder. He stirred slowly, his eyes drifting to hers. Surprise was written all over his face, and it took him some good moments to realize that Rey was sitting there, next to him, as if he was her friend, not her enemy.

But I've turned. I'm not her enemy anymore, he thought back, the thought still incredibly strange.

And, guessing what she could want, he rose his arm, slowly, hesitant. What if she would get scared again? But right now, he was going to find that out. He wasn't going to let his doubts take the lead of his life anymore.

His arm wrapped gently and protectively around her shoulders. And he could see it surprised her.

Her head jerked up to his sad brown eyes, a gasp escaped her mouth. And he thought he had offended her, and made to retreat his arm.

But to his surprise, Rey pulled his arm back around her.

"No, please." She said. And he could read in her eyes the same tension he had seen the night their hands had touched on Ahch-To.

He found the strength to nod weakly. Then, she buried her head in the crook of his shoulder, her arms wound around his waist. She was exhausted. And his hand stroked her arm up and down. She craves affection. My affection, he realized. As I crave hers. And she had been offering him her affection ever since they met. A kind of affection he had always needed, but of which he thought himself unworthy.

He smiled. And, without any hesitation this time, he laid his chin on her head.

Even when the sky had darkened completely, and the cold began to freeze the stones, the cries and music continued on. It was now so cold, that Ben had to make a fire. He had spared Rey of everything that had to be done, and he had gone to gather logs.

The cave had a large hall, overlooking the wooded vales now filled with spots of light. The people down there had made a huge fire that rose high in the air, the flames reaching for the sky.