Took a Stab at It

this chapter has been revised

It had been a long shift at Nola tonight, and my night was almost over. Before clocking out, I was stocking the bar with new bottles that had just been sent in. Trying to forget about how drained I was from working all day, I carefully placed the liquor bottles onto the shelves, praying to God I wouldn't drop one. I didn't want to hear it from Edson tonight.

"Some customers just walked in. Edson's seating them in your section." Crystal called out, as she rushed past by me with a handful of dirty plates and glasses.

Edson would seat them in my section last minute. What a bastard.

"Great." I mumbled. I looked at my watch to see that it was almost eleven o'clock at night. Who comes in to eat this late?

I hadn't been making much tips tonight either, and I doubt these customers would make up for it. I was just ready to go home already. I put the last bottle on the shelf, and prepared myself with my pen and notepad.

As I walked over to the booth Edson had sat the customers in, and saw that it was a young couple. Once I saw the woman's familiar bright, red hair, I knew who I'd be dealing with tonight. Dave and Adrienne.

A tall, older man who looked like the average, drunken truck driver walked in stumbling on his feet. The smell of whiskey was radiating off of him.

"Hey," He grabbed my arm, stopping me in my tracks. "I want to be seated now." He slurred his words.

I release myself from my grip and made a face at him. "Okay, that's fine. Just don't touch me."

The man whistled as he followed behind me. "Nice ass."

I took him to the booth across from Dave and Adrienne so it'd be easy access to go from one table to another.

I ignored his comment, and sat him down. "I'll be with you in a minute." I told him.

I walked over to Dave and Adrienne, and pressed my lips together, barely forming a smile since they weren't very welcoming either.

"James' friend." Dave greeted me.

"It's Brooke." I corrected him. "Can I start you two off with some drinks?"

"Can I get a fucking drink or what?!" The man called out to me.

Dave eyed the man, and looked at me. "And this place is supposed to be a 'family friendly' restaurant?" He questions me.

"It's literally almost midnight, what do you expect?" I tell him.

Dave just shakes his head, and him and Adrienne look over the menus that were already placed on the table.

"We'll need a minute." Adrienne says to me. I nodded and walked back over to the obnoxious drunk.

"You need to keep it down before I make you leave. You seem a little too drunk for me to be even serving you anything else." I tell him.

The man leans back in the booth, and smirks. "Alright, how about you take me back to your place then? Have a couple beers there instead?"

"Yeah, that's not happening." I scoff. "What do you want? Bud light, Corona, Heineken...?" I began to list off the beers we had to offer.

The man licked his lips, and his eyes moved from my chest to my face back and fourth. He then reached up to twirl a curl from my hair around his finger. "I think I want you."

I rolled my eyes. Getting hit on my a drunken customer wasn't anything new, I was just completely over tonight.

"Alright, a Bud Light it is." I answered for him. I stepped away from his reach and walked over to the bar, and my other co-worker Aaron was the bartender for the night.

"Everything alright? Is that dude giving you any problems?" Aaron asked.

"It's nothing I haven't handled before." I assured him. "Can you hand me a Bud Light?"

Aaron cracked the bottle open, and slid it across the bar towards me. "Let me know if you me to handle anything."

I walked past the man's table and slammed the beer in front of him, then went to check on Dave and Adrienne.

"Alright, so I think we're both going to have the chicken club wrap with-

The man interrupted Dave's order with another crude comment. "Hey baby, why don't shake that ass while I have this great view from behind!"

"Is anyone going to do something about him? He's being completely obscene right now." Adrienne scoffed in disgust.

"Just ignore him, I'll take care of it in a minute. So two chicken club wraps and what to drink?" I began to write the order down.

"I wasn't finished." Dave gave me a look.

I was growing impatient, and exhaled dramatically, getting annoyed.

"Two chicken club wraps and instead of the fries-

As I continued to write their order down, the man began to hackle me again, trying to get my attention again. "Look at me when I'm talking to you, sexy!"

Dave slammed his hand on the table causing Adrienne and I to jump. "Jesus Christ, shut the fuck up and let her do her fucking job!" He snapped at the guy.

From across the building, I could see Edson becoming concerned with all the commotion coming from my section. I quickly walked over to the drunk's table, and grabbed his beer bottle from him.

"You're done for the night, please leave now." I tell him.

"What the fuck did I do?" He slurred. He could barely even keep his eyes open when he spoke to me. He hooked his finger around one of the belt loops of my pants and pulled my closer to him. "Don't be so mean, sweetheart."

I step back away from him, shoving his hand away from me. "I've told you not to touch me twice now. You've been bothering me and other customers around you the whole time you've been here. Now leave." I say again.

"Come on baby, you're just playing hard to get." The man winked, and he reached behind me and groped my ass.

Before I could have a reaction, I felt someone reach over me, and aim a fork right into the back of the man's hand, stabbing and piercing right into his skin.

"Holy shit! Fuck!" The man moaned in agony, grabbing his hand and holding it close to him. He pulled the fork out of his hand, and dropped it to the floor.

"She said not to fucking touch her anymore." Dave gritted through his teeth.

I stood there in shock, with my hand covering my mouth not believing what I had just saw.

"You motherfucker!" The man got up from his seat to charge at Dave, but that's when Aaron came to the rescue.

"Alright, you're out of here." Aaron said, grabbing the guy's hands and putting them behind his back. He started to escort him out.

I still stood there in silence, and Dave and I looked at each other.

"What the- why did you do that?" I stammered.

Adrienne walked up from behind him, and placed her hand on his shoulder. She had her purse over her shoulder and keys in her hand. "Dave, we're leaving." She says, tugging on his arm. "Now." She glares at me.

Without saying another word, Dave quickly grabbed his jacket from the booth seat and left Nola with Adrienne along his side.

"What the hell just happened here?" Edson finally came over. He walked over to the booth where the drunk man was sitting. "Is this blood on my fucking table?!"

Aaron had just walked back in, coming back from kicking the dude out. "Listen Ed, there was this guy that was harassing Brooke and this other dude stood up for her and-

My mind had cancelled out their conversation, and I sat down at one of the tables to take a little breather.

The fact that Dave went out of his way to fucking stab someone  was startling, and confusing all at the same time. For me? Was he fucking crazy?

Edson sighed and looked at me. "Alright, Brooke. You're done for the night. You can go home now."