chapter ten - part one

LUKE HADN'T seen Ruth in three years, but it was obvious she gained the pros and cons of a rose. "It's good to see you too, Ruth," his voice shivered in shock.

"We have a surprise visit from a celebrity today," said Isaac, trying to subdue the awkwardness, "I'm sure you recognize him from our younger days?"

Ruth gave the celebrity a thorough look, from head to toe and toe to head. Directly into his eyes, "No, I don't recognize him. Isaac," she turned to her colleague. "Who is this?"

"You got to be joking -" Luke said, almost offended.

"It's Luke Chase," Isaac added to the celebrity disbelief. "How do you not recognize him?"

"Oh, I know who Luke Chase is," she gave the celebrity another glance, "but this guy seems a little obsessed with jewellery. The Luke I knew never liked jewellery, because he thought it made people targets."

"That person clearly never had access to the type of jewellery that Luke has now," said the celebrity, "therefore, maybe your friend was just hating on those who did have."

"I don't think that's the case, because he never glorified guns nor drugs and he knew that those who did that . . . they were the ones with the jewellery in the industry," retorted Ruth.

"Yet this friend of yours didn't glorify guns or drugs to get all that he has," replied Luke, "so I don't know what your problem is with him."

"Okay, guys, that's enough," Isaac stepped between them like a referee before a boxing match. "Let's not have this in front of the customers, especially when the manager's here."

"My mommy's here?" asked Ruth, a little surprised.

"Yes . . ." Isaac replied, knowing their relationship was not that good.

"Okay," Ruth took a few steps back, "I'm sorry . . ."

"I accept your apology," said Luke.

"I was apologizing to Isaac -"

"And I was accepting on his behalf -"

"Guys!" Isaac got fed up.

The three were quick to shut their mouths when the back room door opened slightly.

What was this tension between them anyway? It's like Ruth saw their friend in a completely different light than she did when they grew up together. But then again, if any of Luke's songs were as bad as So Enjoyable, which was the only performance Isaac got to see, then he understood her frustration.

"Don't you only have a shift next week?" he tried to change the topic.

"Yes, but I wasn't expecting us to have a guest today," said Ruth, "so I thought I could come share my thoughts on the album with you. You know, have you listen and see for yourself how far our friend has drifted off."

"When you messaged that you were coming in," Isaac's voice peaked disappointment, "I thought you would come in personally to give a reason why you didn't pitch up the other night. You know, at the studio."

"Oh, wow, about that -" Ruth started.

"Are you guys still using the store room as a studio?" asked Luke, amused. He and Ruth had discovered the effectiveness of the store room by accident. The thick walls' kept all the sounds and secrets to itself.

"So what business is that to you?" replied Ruth. When she received nothing back, she faced Isaac, "Can we please speak about that another time?"

An agreement was made and Isaac would soon learn something he never thought Ruth would be involved in. Whoever warned people about the quiet ones, their warning was no different to the boy who cried, wolf.

"Just so you know," Isaac spoke to his colleague, "Luke likes what we've done to the store."

"Oh, wow, you said my mommy's here, right? I think I need to ask her if we can rearrange the store," said Ruth, still upset.

"I don't think that will be necessary," said the manager. She turned to the celebrity, "Thank you, Luke, we've worked very hard to get the store to the way it looks today. We happy to hear such positive feedback." Mrs. Rennells looked at her daughter, "Right, Ruth?"

Ruth stood firm in her stubbornness. She couldn't understand how her mother would take Luke's side after what he had done to her three years back.

Isaac stood there just as quiet as her after he heard mommy and Ruth. Those were known forbidden words in the Rennells' family. What changed?

"You know deep down," the manager looked deep into her daughter's soul, "that that is not the way we treat people, never mind customers."

Ruth had a war within herself, she couldn't process what was happening. However, what her mommy said was true. It turned the tide and made the good side win.

"I'm sorry for the words I've said today," Ruth gave the album to Luke, definitely not for an autograph. "No need to worry, I don't want . . . a refund won't be necessary," she left without waiting for any acceptance.

Isaac was tempted to ask Luke if he made a diss track or something.

"Don't worry about Ruth, I'll have a little chat with her," Mrs. Rennells spoke to the celebrity. "Are you too busy to join the Church tomorrow?"

Luke got put in the hot seat and his mind went blank. Not one excuse popped up, but that didn't mean he wanted to go. He hadn't seen a Bible in three years, never mind stepped into such a crowd of people.

"I will be there tomorrow, Mrs. Rennells," the words slipped off his tongue.

Ruth was upset with him, and Luke knew that he would see her there tomorrow. It was reason enough. He needed to find out what the real issue was. It couldn't just be the album. She was hiding something from him. But what?

"See you tomorrow then." The manager left, "Isaac, I'll be back in twenty."

"Yes, Mrs. Rennells," replied Isaac.

They watched her leave like children waiting for the go ahead to be naughty.

"Bro, can I get a lift tomorrow morning?" Luke asked Isaac.

"Nice one," Isaac laughed thinking Luke was being sarcastic this time, but then he again realized he was not. "Wait, you serious? Bro, I can't believe you forgot where the building is, as well."

"Come on, man," he protested, "it's been three years."

+++

Margarette tried to sleep the hours away, but it was always hard to find sleep when anxiety controlled the body. Tonight would be her first battle where the winner would get way more than what they put in. She wouldn't know who her opponent was until they were face to face. The rapper therefore had nothing planned. But that was fine, because freestyling was second nature to her. As long as she went second.

Margarette pulled up to the warehouse and allowed the car to do what she couldn't do earlier. The parking lot that she and her best friend stepped into was filled with cars, but the owners were nowhere in sight. Loud sequenced banging was coming from a single spot and they used that as a guide to the entrance.

"Remember, this isn't a street battle, Kane," said Gabi, "they have different rules here, something called, Eight Claps."

"They sure stole that word from the streets," Margarette commented.

"What do you mean? Don't they mean a clap? Like this," she gave an example, "that type of clap?"

"No, it's none of that if you happy clap your hands type of clap," Margarette used her fingers to issue her example, "it's that death type clap."

"They not going shoot us, are they?"

"Thanks for coming to support me, Gabi," said the rapper as she entered the warehouse.

"That's not an answer, Kane!" she chased after her friend.

+++

Very important, please note:
I'm thankful to have you as a reader.
Feel free to comment or vote,
if you enjoyed reading the chapter.