chapter thirty-three - sunday evening

THERE HE stood, surrounded on all sides, unable to escape what he got himself into. A group this size would be embarrassing for the celebrity to perform for, so they sang to him instead. It came once a year, but for the first time in three, he shared it with friends and family.

   The chocolate cake stood tall, on the table, surrounded by all types of treats, but none reached its glory. It symbolized Fortuna Island with the stadium being the center of attention. If that wasn’t enough, the cake had the number twenty-one on it with one candle towering above every dessert offered.

   This celebration took place at the Grand Hotel. They sang the birthday song that was arguably more famous than Luke Chase himself. It was a bittersweet moment. The track has and will out live him, therefore it was futile for Luke to challenge it. As the words floated throughout the penthouse from the lips of those who followed along, the celebrity was tempted to follow suit. He stayed strong until the end with a shy smile across his face.

   “Thank you,” said Luke repeatedly as if to each person in the room. “Thank you very much.”

   “Speech! Speech!” chanted the people, “speech!”

   “Okay, okay,” he replied, “only cause I like to give the fans what they want.”

   Chuckles filled the place.

   “Oh man, where to begin?” he looked around for inspiration. There his rival stood, eyes on him.

   “First make a wish,” said Isaac, “and blow out your candle.”

   “How can I? I don’t know what to wish for.”

   “Surely you can think of something,” said Margarette.

   The celebrity looked around, “I think everything I want is already here.”

   “Maybe not someone,” she insisted, “but something . . .”

   Marge had a point. Luke did want something, and he hoped his stay in North City would bring upon the desired knowledge. The birthday boy inhaled enough to blow out twenty-one candles. He let loose on the flame that was unable to put up a hint of a fight. Conquered.

   “Speech!” said Ruth.

   “Like father like daughter,” replied Luke, “putting me on the spot in front of everyone.” The celebrity kept his eyes on the Rennells’ for a long second. They were in full attendance. “Family. I feel like I can call every single one here tonight, family . . . coming back home . . . this is the reason I came back home,” he glanced at all in the room. “To celebrate this special day with those I truly considered family . . .”

   “I’m glad to be considered such,” said Isaac, to many nods, “I speak for everyone when I say we’re glad to have you back.” 

   “It’s good to be back! I mean, the past three years has been a rollercoaster ride for me. I now understand why though. To think that so much happened in the shadows for me to have the spotlight, it’s crazy. And I would like to apologize for everything,” the celebrity sneaked a glance at Ruth, “but what I have come to learn is, we wouldn’t be here so united if the events of the past hadn’t taken place. I truly believe everything led up to this moment.” Luke picked up his glass with champagne in it, “As I stand here today, I have been reunited with my sister, Margarette, from the orphanage, and my brother, Isaac, who has proven that he deserved to win the Rappers Behind Bars competition.” The celebrity smiled, “Let’s ignore who he defeated, and give a warm applause for him.”

   And so they did, led by Luke, himself.

   “Come on, stop it,” said Isaac as he made his way to Luke, “the real talent is right here, guys. Let’s give it up for the birthday boy, Luke Chase! Chase, everyone!”