$ F I F T Y • F I V E $

Start from the beginning

I heard footsteps paddle up to her bedroom.

"Why?" Vera murmured, looking up at me and Norah.

I sat next to Vera, embracing her into my arms. A strong waft of alcohol swarmed around her. I could tell she was an absolute mess.

Her body was still covered in bruises. I pulled away, cupping her cheek as tears fell onto them. She grasped my wrist and squeezed it.

From the corner of my eye, I saw Norah taking the gin away from Vera's grasp. She cleaned lightly around Vera's bed as I comforted her.

"Have you watched it?" I murmured, afraid to ask her. She bit her lip and shook her head. I let out a relieved sigh.

"Don't," I whispered, squeezing her hand. She sniffled and shook her head again. "No. I need to know."

I began to protest, worried for her wellbeing. "Vera, you won't be able to handle it. Consider it, please." Norah suggested, joining us on the bed.

More tears fell onto Vera's cheek. "You aren't in the right state of mind. Take a small nap. We're both here." Norah suggested, assuring her of our presence.

It didn't take a lot of time for Vera to fall asleep. Once I and Norah made sure she was in deep slumber, we slipped off her bed, walking out into the hallway to talk.

"I keep replaying the video in my head," I murmured, hugging myself. "What the fuck do we do?" I asked, gripping my temples.

Norah pursed her lips, looking down as she stayed quiet. It was as if she wanted to say something.

"What?" I asked.

She shook her head. "It's stupid, but we have to, Lilly." She whispered, looking up at me with worried eyes.

My eyebrows furrowed. "What are you talking about?"

She sighed, biting her lip. "We need to tell her parents." She suggested, picking at her nails.

My eyes widened and I shook my head. "We can't!" I immediately whispered harshly. "She'll kill us."

Norah shook her head. "But you know they're going to fix this. You know it's the right thing. We can't do this alone." She mumbled.

I sighed, gripping my forehead.

"Hey, you two!" I turned around, seeing Mrs. Bernacelli walking towards us with a broad smile. She embraced us. "How are you? What are you guys doing here?"

I didn't answer. I couldn't. I tried to, but nothing came out of my mouth. She noticed our reaction before her smile disappeared. "Are you two alright?" Mrs. Bernacelli asked with concern laced through her voice.

I glanced at Norah before she nodded lightly. I sighed and shook my head.

"Is it okay if we can talk to you in private?" I asked, afraid to approach the upcoming situation.

She nodded hesitantly before pulling us away further down the corridor.

I glanced back at Ezio who's eyebrows were furrowed. He was occasionally clenching his jaw as he was leaning against my car.