$ T W E L V E $

Talk
~
September 16th, 2002
Bridgehampton, New York
Back To School Night

Vera's P.O.V.

7:23 pm.

My fingers curled around my daddy's rough hands as my parents walked through the big private elementary school. I saw many kids my age walk past me with a smile on their face as they walked throughout the hallways. A lot of the kids with a big grin on their face hugged others and asking if they wanted to have a playdate. I frowned as I noticed no one came up to me.

Did no one like me?

"Daddy?" I look up seeing my parents both walking hand in hand with me by their side. My daddy was dressed in a casual navy blue suit and my mommy was wearing a matching colored knee-length dress. They were deeply in love with each other which kept me as a happy child.

"Yes, angel?" He replied as he looked down, stopped walking and kneeled down next to me as he noticed my blue expression.

I frowned before my eyes filled with tears.

"Don't cry, my angel." He says gently as he caressed my cheek.

My mom kneeled down next to him. "What happened, Vera?" She asked as she observed me worriedly before running her fingers gently through my vibrant blonde hair.

My lips quivered, struggling to reply. I look down to my fingers tangled with each other. "I have n-no friends to play with," I whisper as a tear dropped onto my reddened cheek. My father wiped the tear off with his finger as I heard him sigh.

"You will have friends soon, my love. This is what school is about. Soon enough, the whole school will be your friend." My father replied enthusiastically.

My blue eyes which were filled with brightness immediately, meeting my father's similar eyes as a toothy smile stretched on my face. "Really?"

My mother grinned as my father nodded before leaning forward to kiss my forehead. I felt happiness blossom within me when he did that. He embraced me in his big arms. I was very small when I was compared to him. His arms, as well as my mother's, were my home.

As he stood up, he lent me his hand. "Ready to meet your teacher and classmates, my love?" He asks with a smile. I nodded vigorously before plopping my small hands in his.

As we walked farther down the hallway, I let go of his hands and began to skip faster than they were walking. "Look, mommy and daddy! I'm going very fast!" I say gleefully before looking back at them. They smiled as they observed me laughing. Just as I was about to look forward, I slammed into a body which had me groan as I fell to the floor.

"Vera!" I heard my mother yelp.

I got up and rubbed my head before glancing at who I slammed into. She was getting up with tears in her eyes. I frowned before my lips began to quiver. "I-I'm sorry!" I say immediately before crawling towards her. She had light brown hair with grey eyes and tan skin. She seemed very pretty.

"I didn't mean to." I whisper as I offered her my hand. She hesitantly took it before she looked down at both of our dresses. They were drenched in water. I glanced at the cup that was now empty on the floor. She must've been holding it before it spilled onto the both of us when I slammed into her.