Yeonjun stares at my side profile, then raises a brow. He probably finds my theatrics weird, but I don't know him well enough to really care what he thinks of me. "Mai," He clears his throat. "that sounded a little personal."

"Yeah, well I speak with experience new kid. It might've been different at your old school but the girls here are ruthless. They'll stomp over your heart and steal it back just to rip it up into shreds. So watch your back." For a flourish, I stomp off, heading straight towards to the refreshments where the familiar teacher stands.

"Mai." He smiles politely, though there is clearly pain behind it. That makes me more mad, if that is even possible. "So, what kind of drink would you like? We have water, soda, cool aid—"

"I don't want any of this garbage." I hiss, then grab his hand, dragging him towards the trees.

🥀

        INDEED THERE IS A STORM approaching. I believe it comes in the warm front — and I mean this with meteorological terms — that's known as Mai. I've noticed her to be pretty brooding and sarcastic, just the opposite of her sister, but I've also noticed their similarities. I can see how they are related. Lalisa will ferociously protect those who she loves, she's confessed that many times.

Because although Lisa has that perfect smile, and perfect reputation representing everything innocent about this town, she can't hide that fire which lies in her eyes. I can see it, and I can see it in Mai's too.

After she stormed off, grumbling about her own woes of the world, I had gone around, socializing here and there with the other friend circles of Thistlethorn. One which I stayed clear of was Lucas Wong's little Red Circle, who actually stand in an arc wearing matching red outfits. They are creepy for sure, but if it's gangs which I have to worry about, then...I'm good.

I have had a share in running into the criminal brotherhood which the town of Thistlethorn loved to dehumanize. Oh yes, just like Mai, my life before transferring to Thistlethorn also had its twists and turns. But like any other excruciatingly long tale, that was one for another bleak day.

It's when I find Yuqi and begin to make friendly talk with her when the beloved Wicked Witch of the West whom rules over Thistlethorn makes an encore.

"Oh." Yuqi smiles politely, though she seems more on edge now. The journalist seems like she's had more than just the blue punch served in cups at the punch table. "Hey Mai."

"I'm surprised you haven't run yet." She remarks, and I notice how incredibly snarky she is today. Mai must be in a horrid mood, she's stating one blunt fact after the other. As if she doesn't even seem to care for the consequences. "I feel like I'm bit too much of a Thymian from 'Diary of a Lost Girl' for your sheltered tastes."

"I think you're drunk." I admit, inching closer to her. "Though you don't smell like alcohol."

"Whatever, new boy." She rakes both her hands through her hair. "Do you ever have the strongest urge to leave this cursed town? Right now I have a good mind to. I hate almost every single living being here."

"That's not a surprise." Yuqi grumbles. Mai shoots her a glare.

"Scram, Song. Yeonjun and I have things to discuss. From one journalist to another."

She looks at me warily, and I raise my lips at an attempt to assure her that I would be fine. Then Yuqi sighs, leaving reluctantly.