19: Tell The Truth

Začít od začátku

"I'm glad you cleared that up for me. Really, thanks." I said sarcastically, rolling my eyes and I heard Derrek mumble something under his breath but I couldn't catch what he had said.

After a few silent minutes of pondering, I spoke up once again.

"It's just really stupid, thinking about it."

"Oh, lord." Derrek groaned but I continued anyway.

"If you have a girlfriend, why not let her pretend to be your fiancée and even if she's not your girlfriend, she seems to be in love with you, so, I'm sure she would have no problem with pretending to be your loving fiancée."

"We're here." Derrek said instead, ignoring my statement and I glanced out to see my house to the right of us.

Without a glance, I picked up my bag and opened the door.

"Thanks for bringing me home." I mumbled before getting out of the car. Derrek said nothing, so, I shut the door and started towards my house. I was tempted to look back as I didn't hear the sound of Derrek driving off but I didn't.

*

"Is that Tiara?" I heard my mom's voice and I gave a heavy sigh. It was all over for me anyway. "Where are you?"

"We're upstairs!" Ruby called and I scowled at her. She had yelled my name the moment I walked into the house, deliberately calling for all attention to be on me. I would have quietly gone into my room and avoided the wrath of my parents for as long as I could, if it wasn't for this sadist. She always found joy in my misery.

"Tiaraoluwa! Tiaraoluwa! How many times did I call you?" Mom yelled as she made her way up the stairs with her favorite yellow floral apron strapped around her body and a wooden spoon in her hand.

"Twice, ma." I answered as she walked over to me. She grabbed my arm harshly.

"So, you want to disgrace this family, abi? You want to tarnish the reputation of this family, is that it?" She yelled and I stared at her confused. She hadn't been this mad the last time I had slept over at Derrek's, so, why was she so mad this time?

"Mom—"

"Don't you mom me oh!" She cut me off before letting go of my arm.

Just then I heard the sound of the front door close shut and my father's voice called out a moment later.

"Why is the door unlocked? Where is everybody?" My heart began to pound. I was on so much trouble now that dad was home.

"Baba Tiara, wa wo oo [Come and see oo]!" Mom called as dad made his way up the stairs with a look of confusion written on his face. She guided him over to where I was stood and continued. "You will not believe what your daughter has done! You will not believe it!"

"What has she done this time?" Dad asked as his eyes trailed to me. He was pissed now.

"Tiara has gotten herself pregnant!" Mom announced and I screamed. I couldn't believe my ears as the words came out from her mouth. They replayed in my head but still made no sense. I never expected it.

"What? Me? Pregnant?"

"Shut up!" Mom turned to me, tears flowing down her cheeks. "Did you think we wouldn't find out? Ehn?"

"But I'm not—"

"Next time you're taking a pregnancy test, dispose of the evidence properly."

"Mom, I'm not pregnant. I don't know where you heard this but it is not true." I defended. She was very mistaken but where had she even gotten such an idea from.

"And you are still denying it!" She yelled, placing her arms on her head. "ọmọbinrin yii ti pa mi [This girl has killed me]." She mumbled to herself.

I tried to make sense if the situation but I just couldn't. What pregnancy test had she been talking about? I hadn't bought any kit. I had never even been intimate with another man, so, how could I have been pregnant?

"I'm not pregnant. There must be some misunderstanding." I tried to clarify but my mom wasn't listening anymore, instead, she was wailing and mumbling to herself. My dad in the other hand, had been deadly silent and Ruby had a worried look on her face. Her eyes seemed distant as she was probably deep in thought. Could it have been her? Had she set me up? No, she couldn't have. I knew Ruby was a bad human being but this...this was just too extreme, even for her. Only an evil person would have done something like this.

"Did I raise you up to be a liar?" Mom yelled suddenly. "Didn't I raise you right? Why would you go and do something like this, eh? If Ruby hadn't seen you disposing the kit, I wouldn't have believed it! Ah, Tiara!"

My eyes glanced at Ruby immediately as tears welled up in them. She really had set me up. Her plan was to turn my family against me. Had she wanted to see me miserable so bad that she had cooked up something like this? No. I wasn't going to let her get away with this.

"Ruby!" I rushed at her. "Why are you lying? Why are you doing this? Tell them the truth!" I grabbed her by the collars of her shirt, demanding for the truth. She had to tell them it was all a lie.

"Tiara! Let go of her, right now!" Mom ordered but I ignored her, determined to get the truth out of my evil cousin.

"Tell them you're lying! I'm not really pregnant! Tell them!"

"Tiara, please." Ruby pleaded with tears running down her cheeks. She had feigned innocence and played victim, so, my parents pitied her. It was what she had always done and it was pathetic to watch.

"Tiaraoluwa!"

"Tell the truth, Ruby!"

Ruby tried to pull my hands off her and in the process of struggling, she lost her footing and fell backwards.

*************************

Dun dun dun!

This chapter has taken quite the turn. Kinda short though.

What happens to Tiara next? What happens to Ruby? How much worse can this get? Stay tuned to find out. 😉

Thanks for reading, lovelies ❤️

Don't forget to VOTE, COMMENT & SHARE