Chapter 12

When I enter the room I see Tate sitting on the edge of the bed looking down. Hey, I say and he looks up at me and smiles.

This room looks amazing Tate. It's never looked this good in ages. Thank you for this, I say. Are you going out for Halloween, he asks.

Yea, I reply. Aren't you, I ask. I don't know, I haven't been out in three years. Wait, you never left this house for three years, I ask.

Yep, he replies. Oh my god Tate. That's terrible, I say. I just never really felt like I really deserved to go and leave this house, he says.

Okay wait, so you stayed siting down in the corner of a dark and dank basement for three years by yourself, I say. Yea, he says.

You may have done some pretty bad things in the past, but that doesn't mean you couldn't go out and get some release from this house.

Violet it's fine, don't worry about it, he says and kisses me. I already feel better about all that because I'm here with you now, he says.

I slightly smile for a second. Do you still have those cigarettes, I ask. Yea, you want one, Tate asks. Yea, but can we go outside, I ask.

Yea, why not, he says. We get up and we walk outside where we would go to smoke three years ago. He takes out the pack, pulls a cigarette out, and hands it to me.

I put it in my mouth and Tate lights it for me and he repeats the same for himself. I heard what your dad said Violet, Tate says.

Violet, maybe he is right. Maybe I should not have been forgiven, he says. Tate, if my mother could forgive you and if I could forgive you, then my father should be able to forgive you too.

Is this really what you want. us together in a relationship again. are you happy with all of this, he asks. Yes, of course I am otherwise I would not be here with you right now.

Okay, he says. I lean in and gently kiss him. He wraps his arm around me and I put my head on his shoulder as we finish our cigarettes together.