chapter 21

Hit that 🌟! Hit that 🌟! Hit it !!

The cold wind blew about, making people shiver. It had begun snowing during the night, and there was a thin layer of snow covering the ground. Many guests had left the day before, and the others were leaving, wanting to get a good start before it began snowing in earnest. April stood beside Ian as she greeted the last of the guests, a Laird and his wife. The woman hugged April.

"It was a pleasure meeting you, your majesty," she said with a smile.

"Same goes for me, mi'lady," April said, and the woman chuckled.

"I like you a lot. You are nicer than the first."

April's brows furrowed, "the first what?" she asked confused.

"Ian's fir.." Ian shook his head and glared at her. "..oh," Constance said, her eyes widening as she realized April knew nothing about her. "It was a mistake. Think nothing of it."

She turned and gestured for her maid who had been standing quietly to come forward, and she took a small box from the girls hand and handed it over to April. "I had this made for you by the best blacksmith in all of Alba. I hope you like it."

April took the hand crafted box and opened it. A silver and sapphire necklace gleamed in it. "It's very pretty. Thank you mi'lady, I will treasure it greatly," April said appreciatively, touched by her kind gesture. "I hope to see you again," she said to the older woman.

"Of course."

"Goodbye then. Have a safe trip."

"Goodbye," Constance said and bowed one last time before leaving.

April handed the box over to Arla who stood behind her. "Please keep this in my room."

Then she hiked up her skirts, annoyed that she had to wear long gowns. She wished she could change into her comfortable smock, but that would be appalling. She was queen now, there were some things she couldn't wear, and some things she couldn't do, like washing fleeced wool. She ignored Ian standing beside her and went up to Judith's chamber. She knocked tentatively, and waited for Judith to answer. The last time she had gone in without knocking, she had seen some things no decent person should see.

"Come in," Judith called out.

She opened the door and walked in. Judith was laying down, but sat up when she saw it was April. "When are you leaving?" she asked taking a seat by the fire to warm her cold hands.

"What! tired of me already?" Judith asked, sounding hurt, a teasing smile on her face. "I didn't know my company was unpleasant."

"It's not! I just wanted to know."

"Alright. Well, Andrew wants to leave tomorrow.." Judith said.

"Tomorrow! But that's too soon! You just got here!" April exclaimed, throwing her hands in the air.

"Relax," Judith said with a laugh, "I said Andrew wants to leave, not me. I think I'll stay here for some time," she said and April sighed in relief.

"Do you want to walk with me to the village?" April asked, "I could show you around."

"Sure. Being cooped up in here all day is not good for my sanity," Judith said grabbing her cloak, and went out.

They walked side by side, Arla and Alan walking a few ways behind them. Ever since April had freed the girl, she had stuck to her, following her everywhere like a shadow. She was such a little sweetheart. April looked back to see both of them discussing, Arla blushing like a little girl. The tips of Alan's ears were red, but that could be from the cold. She laughed, it looked like her guard was sweet on her maid.