Chapter Fifteen; Sweetly Observant

Start from the beginning

I could lie like this all day.

Oh, what I’d do to be back in my own bed right now, or even better—running a nice, soothing hot bath for a good old soak.

Right, that is the first thing I’m doing when I get back home. A hot bath, filled to the brim with bubbles and sweet smelling lotions, ooh, just the thought.

With that thought of longing, I drifted back into sleep, the warmth of the covers and the contentment of my mind lulling me into the lovely, peaceful dreamland. One last sigh left my lips before my eyes fluttered shut, sleep overcoming me fully.

*

 When I woke up—for the second time this morning—I felt considerably more refreshed, and due to this my mood was bright and cheery. A glance at the clock told me it was nine o’clock, and with this information I sprang out of Jamie’s bed, bouncing across the room with a spring in my cheerful step before flinging open the door with a happy smile upon my face.

I headed for the bathroom, and after going to the toilet and inspecting myself with self pity in the harsh mirror, I made my way down the hallway and into the lounge area, entering the large room with a bright and positive attitude.

 Mr Bright was sitting at the breakfast bar, a mug of steaming coffee by his side, typing away feverishly into the sleek grey laptop in front of him. He had a very businesslike expression painted onto his face, so with a mental shrug my gaze drifted away from him and onto his wife.

Mrs Bright was leaning against the breakfast bar, clutching a phone possessively in her hands, pressing it against her ear. She was yapping away animatedly, her free hand making grand gestures automatically. Her pitch was high, her face lit up with enthusiasm, clearly so absorbed in her conversation that she didn’t notice me enter the room.

A loud, deep sigh sounded from the sofa, and my head snapped around to see a large lump laying there, a tangled mass of blankets that was moving up and down steadily. I frowned, but then as the lump shifted slightly that it must be Jamie. My heart melted a little as I realised that for the past two nights he had to sleep uncomfortably on the sofa, as I slept soundly in his oh, so very comfortable and snug bed.

 I edged my way further into the room, nervously approaching Mr and Mrs Bright at the breakfast bar. As I moved closer, I began to catch snippets of Mrs Bright’s phone conversation—yes, I know, I know, it’s rude and nosy, but can you blame a girl?

“Yes, I know, terrible, isn’t it . . . oh, but I’m so glad and happy . . . oh no, of course not! I’ve told you that it was perfectly fine, don’t be silly now! . . . it’s been a pleasure, honestly. . . no, no, no, I refuse, and I don’t care what you say!” Mrs Bright’s gaze fell upon me, and she paused in her conversation. “She’s fine! She’s just woken up and came through, bless her. Yes, yes, of course. Hang on a minute, then.”

Mrs Bright held the phone away from her mouth, her free hand covering the microphone area. “It’s your mum, Farah dear! She wants to talk to you,” Mrs Bright told me with an enthusiastic smile.

I nodded, smiling softly back, outstretching my hand to receive the phone. Mrs Bright handed it over, before quickly adding on, “I’ll make you some toast while you talk, shall I?” With a grateful nod on my part, she got started on the toast, and I held the phone to my ear.

“Hello?” I asked, walking away from the breakfast bar for a little privacy.

My mum’s warm, familiar voice flooded through the receiver. “Farah, love! How are you, sweetie?”

I smiled; it wouldn’t be long before I got to see the face that matched the voice. “I’m fine, Mama. How are you?”

Mama laughed, “Oh, sweetheart, I’m perfectly fine! Your Dad and I are just having breakfast now, Gabby and Cameron still sound asleep, bless them. After breakfast we’re going to get ready, and then we’ll fix up the car—Mr Warren from next door offered to help us, as well, since he is a retired mechanic, and all. Then, off we come to pick you up, all in the nick of time ready for Christmas!” Mama’s voice sounded so set, determined and strong, I couldn’t help but smile even wider.