6.

I wake up to an empty bed. I reach over to her side of the bed to find that it's cold. I sigh, heavily, running my hand through my hair as the tears that threaten to spill make my already pounding skull hurt further. I chance sending her a message, asking where she went, but as the messages before, it goes unanswered. I pull on my hair in frustration, squeezing my eyes shut. If only you had been braver, you fucking absolute idiot. "Arlo?" I hear her call out into the apartment. My heart punches my sternum so hard that I'm sure the bone is cracked; I stand on wobbly legs and run out. "Lita?" I call, breathlessly. "Sorry, I thought I would be back before you woke up." She admits, a sweet blush staining her cheeks. "Where did you go?" I implore, fighting the urge to clutch at my heart to still its frantic beating. "To get some breakfast. I know you; after a night of heavy drinking, you crave greasy breakfast and orange juice." She states, revealing plates of sausage, bacon and waffles. I love you so much, Alita, please let me love you. "You're a saint." I sigh, sitting on the bar stool opposite her. Her smile falters as she shakes her head, "I don't know about that." Who made you feel like you're no good, my love, tell me and I'll set them straight. "Adonis is going to be coming over later." She reveals after taking a deep breath. "Haven't spent enough time with him?" I spit, focusing on the waffles. "I'm going to have a shower; you should, too." She states. "Are you offering to let me join you?" I tease. She rolls her eyes. "Don't be gross." She sighs as she walks away. You haven't finished your breakfast, my sweet girl, what's wrong? As she is in the shower, Adonis makes his appearance, despite my prayers. "She's in the shower; should be out, shortly." I inform him, cleaning up the kitchen. "I think you should move out." He breaks the silence. I turn and pin him with an icy glare. "And why would that be?" "Because you're confusing her; you're hurting her." I feel the fire inside my veins roaring, no end in sight. "Oh, and you just know her so well?" I accuse. "I like to think that I know the woman I love." I feel the fire freeze before raging much higher than a second before. "You think that you love her, do you?" I scoff, rolling my eyes. "Got a problem with that?" he shoots back. "Fucking hell, how could you love her? You don't even know her!" I pinch the bridge of my nose, trying to reel in my anger. "I know her plenty." "Okay, alright, sure. How does she take her coffee? What's her favorite movie? What about the things that upset her or make her uncomfortable? Can you tell me one thing that'll give me reason to believe that you're good enough? You've fucking been dating for a year now and you know nothing about the woman that you claim to love. So, please, I am begging you to enlighten me. How could you love her when you know nothing about her?" I turn away, forcing myself to breathe deeply and calmly. "Hey, Adonis, you're here early." She says as she emerges from the bathroom, a cloud of steam following her out of the bathroom, her skin is flushed red and dewy with condensation. "How about we go have brunch, honey bee?" he entreats her, pressing a kiss to her forehead with his eyes looking at me over her shoulder. "I was planning to spend time with Arlo today." She admits, looking over to me and the rosiness of her cheeks brightens. "I think he can handle some time alone. Give you time to pack up, isn't that right?" he tests. "I'm not going anywhere, so don't give her the impression that I am. You go on ahead, baby. Like I told you, I intend to be your forever." I spit, walking back towards her bedroom to rid myself of the vile feelings that had been bubbling in my gut.

I busy myself with cleaning the apartment, top to bottom, then doing my laundry as well as hers. When I finish the laundry and she still isn't home, I hop in the shower, trying to soothe my frayed nerves. "Lovey?" I hear her call into the emptiness of the apartment. I shut the water off, wrap a towel around my waist and step out. "Right here, baby." I answer, wrapping my sopping wet arms around her. "How was your day?" I query. "Fine. Adonis and I had an argument." She confesses, making her way to the fridge to pull out a bottle of white wine. "About?" I question, leaning against the counter; she raises a knowing brow at me. "Me?" I feign innocence, pressing my hand to my chest. She rolls her eyes and shakes her head but there's trace of a small smile dancing on those kissable lips. "Yes, you. He wants me to stop being your friend." She sighs, closing her eyes. "What did you say?" she scoffs, her lip curling in annoyance. "I told him to shove it up his ass. I said that you came with me, that simple." She shrugs, looking at me over her glass. "You're my best friend. You come first." She says in a small voice. I beam over at her, reaching across the counter to take her glass and take a sip. "Hm, let's play, neighbor." I suggest, raising a challenging brow. She grins up at me, grabbing another glass and the entire bottle of wine. We make our way to the couch and sit beside each other. "Are you just going to stay in a towel?" she groans. "Bothering you?" I tease. She rolls her head to look at me, annoyance and lust dancing in her eyes, "You know how I feel about you, Arlo. That hasn't changed." She deadpans. I gulp, nodding my head. That's great information, baby.