death is not an escape (Revamp)

I was running, like I had been doing for God knows how long. I've been trapped in this sick game of cat and mouse for so long I don't even know what day of the week it is let alone the year. This place had become a home to me and others, whether we wanted it to be or not.

As I was running I heard a blood-curdling scream, I turned around and saw where it came from. One of the others got caught. It's a common sight in this place but that doesn't change the feeling I get when I see them be taken away as their limp body rises into the sky.

While I was looking at them I got snapped out of my trance when I felt an arm on my shoulder pulling me out of my trance.

??? "hey Y/N cmon, it isn't the first time you've seen this and it won't be the last either, let's just get back to work so we aren't next."

I turned around and saw Bill. He says he's an old vet from Vietnam, but he says that Vietnam wasn't even the worst point in his life. He says he fought through something worse than any war, but doesn't like to bring it up so I don't pry.

Bill was one of the oldest ones out of the small group of "survivors" we have. The name has a sick sense of irony though because we haven't survived, we can't survive. You manage to get out only to be brought back to the start to repeat it all over again.

Y/N "Sorry Bill, I just don't think I'll get used to that, no matter how many times I see it."

Bill "listen, kid, I've seen more death in an hour than you have one year in this place, but I agree. It never gets easier watching someone die, especially if you feel like you could have done something about it. So let's make sure their death wasn't in vain and get out of here."

His words hit a special cord with me, being that I was also in the military. I can't remember everything but I can remember my squad, and I can remember them dying. It's a pain that can never heal, but one you can learn from.

Y/N "yeah, you're right. I was doing a generator on the second floor but it's been a while so it's probably lost all of its progress by now."

Bill "Then why are we just standing here for? Let's get to it, the less generators I have to worry about the better."

Just as we finished talking a loud horn blared and a siren wailed, telling us that the exit gates are open.

Y/N "Well I'll be dammed, they did our job for us." I said as let I let out a nervous chuckle, feeling better about the situation.

Bill looked around for a bit and spotted a nearby gate. I looked around as Bill was opening the gate when I noticed a rustling in the corn field in front of us. I  got Bill's attention and let him know. We were about to run until we heard a familiar voice.

??? "I finally found you guys, you know how long I was looking for someone around here?." Both I and Bill sighed a breath of relief, after all, it's not hard to recognize who it is when they have a smile plastered on his face 24/7.

It was Ace, another one of the older guys in our group. He was a pretty big gambler before he was sent here, says he's just "a lucky guy" which is hard to believe since he's here with us.

Y/N "Hey to you too Ace."

Ace: "Aw cmon, I just fix the lat gen and all I get is a hey? Cmon let's just open this thing already and you can give me my thank you later." As soon as Ace said this we all hear the sound of a chainsaw ripping through the corn as it gets closer and closer.

Bill "not this deformed bastard again" as soon as Bill finished his sentence a man slammed into the door, barely missing Ace. He looked as if his face was slowly falling of, only being kept still with staples.

He let out a deep groan and turned his eyes towards Bill. He gave him a look of pure hatred and ran at him swinging his sledge hammer at him, barely missing.

Bill "I'll keep this bastard distracted, you guys get out. I'll join you guys at the other end" He quickly ran behind the killer and into the corn with him chasing.

Ace quickly got back on the switch and got the gate open and sprinted in. I keep looking back waiting for Bill as the ground begins to pulsate orange, indicating that we only have a limited time here. Not long after Ace grabbed me by the back of my shirt and ran both me and him out of there.

Y/N "What are you doing, we need to go back for him?!"

Ace "Listen, kid, we both know what happens if we do that. We'll just be getting in his way and cause more problems than anything else. Besides, let's not let him sacrifice himself for nothing right?" I hate to say anything but he's right here, I just have to trust him and go.

We run for a while and I'm greeted with what I expect to see for the rest of my life, darkness and trees. After a while, me and Ace can hear talking and the crackling of the fire. As we continued walking we see the clearing in the woods and were greeted by everyone else who had a trial. Every time I come here and hear stories of everyone's trials I just remember that there may be no escape from this place, but at least we're not in it alone.