Chapter One (2020)

Editing videos was always a chore, and one that Y/N hated quite a bit. Why she didn't follow in her brother's footsteps and just hire an editor she didn't know, but she certainly was regretting it now.

She looked to the side, checking the progress of her current upload on a different monitor. It was going to be a bit late, unfortunately, due to the fact that she had lost track of time when she was out for lunch with her friends. Well, that and the fact that the internet was being particularly iffy today. It normally wasn't, but Ash had some stuff they needed to do, so it was a bit slower than usual.

Thinking of Ash brought her attention to the music blaring from the brunette's room. California Friends by The Regrettes was playing on full blast for what was quite possibly the twentieth time that day. Ash had a horrible habit of getting attached to one song and listening to it on loop until they found a different song-- two days ago it had been Little Miss Perfect by Taylor Louderman, and the day before that it was Prom Queen by Beach Bunny.

While she had no problem with her long time friend and roommate blasting their music obsession- usually she enjoyed listening to it, too- it was getting a bit annoying seeing as it was distracting her from work.

With a groan she got up, making her way over to Ash's room, which was two doors down. She knocked on the doorframe, seeing as the door was open, and leaned against it, watching as the brunette's head snapped over to her.

"What's up?" they asked, pausing the clickbait lifehack video they were watching for shits and giggles.

"Could you put headphones in? Or at least turn down the volume?" Y/N asked. "I'm trying to edit videos to queue up for during the move, and getting distracted by the music really isn't helping my procrastination."

"What you need is a distraction," Ash said, which was the literal opposite of what Y/N had just said. They snapped their fingers and shot her some finger guns, though, so what choice did she have really? "I'll tweet out about one last Among Us stream and see if we can put together a crew to play with us, and while I'm at it I'll see if I can find someone to help you out with editing while we're moving."

Y/N sighed in relief as she slung her arms around Ash's neck from behind, giving them a weird sort-of hug. Ash never minded it, even though they were rather against the idea of physical contact at all, which made Y/N feel special considering she was the only one who could hug them without them getting uncomfortable.

"You're a lifesaver, you know that?"

"Well, I have heard it a few times, but I'm never opposed to hearing it more."

Y/N laughed and gave her friend and roomie a friendly kiss on the cheek, to which Ash responded dramatically and fanned themself while clutching at their heart. Y/N rolled her eyes and went back to her room, ready to scroll through the editing job submissions people had already been sending in while she set up her stream.

She debated accepting the offer from Lixian to help her out, but ultimately decided against it as she figured she'd give someone else the opportunity to get themself out there in the world. Besides, he was already editing videos for her older brother, so he was busy enough.

Eventually they had a full lobby of ten streamers, including Jack, who Y/N was quite close with since he was a friend of Mark's, Corpse, Valkyrae, Felix, another person she was close with thanks to Mark, Ash, and a couple others. Ash and Corpse immediately started mingling with each other as always, both of them finding comfort in the fact that the other was also faceless, and Y/N kept herself muted as she continued to go through submissions and let people have some time to join the stream.

Eventually she tweeted out that submissions were closed and contacted someone about the job, feeling a weight off of her chest as she now didn't have to stress as much over editing videos. She also found herself to be quite the fan of the person's editing style and she knew her audience would enjoy it, so she wasn't too worried about how the new editing would go over.

"Are we all ready?" she asked, finally unmuting and undeafening.

"We're still waiting on Poki," Sykkuno pointed out. "Charlie, too. I think he said he's be a few minutes."

"That's no problem. We can wait a bit," Y/N said. "Anyways, Jack, Felix, I'm surprised you're joining us. It's, like, late over there isn't it?"

"It's only six," Sean reassured her. "Evelyn and I already had dinner, so I'm good to stream for however long."

"I haven't eaten yet but I can do so during the stream," Felix said. "I won't be able to stream with you until next year, Y/N! This is worth it."

"It's like two months, Felix, you'll be fine," Y/N said, rolling her eyes. "Drama queen."

"Are you two trying to steal my baby sister again?!" Mark asked, joining the call.

"She's our sister, Mark!" Sean yelled.

"Yeah, Mark!" Felix shouted.

"Would you three stop yelling, please?" Y/N asked, rubbing her temples. "Is Poki coming?" she asked as she watched Charlie's space bean jump off of it's seat.

"I just got a text," Rae said. "She says she actually can't come for another hour or so so we should find someone else to fill the lobby with. I can ask around but I'm pretty sure most of my friends are busy."

"I'll ask on Twitter. See if there's any streamers we don't know personally that want to join," Y/N suggested. "It'll be nice to meet someone new for once."

After hearing the positive response from everyone, Y/N began typing a tweet in search of someone to play with that they didn't know.

• • • • •

Alright, I wanted this to get out before I began NaNoWriMo, so here it is! I'll also get started on Chapter Two before I go to sleep tonight, so you can look forwards to that, too

However, I would like to warn people, the next part probably won't be out until mid to late December. I have another surgery on December 1st and I'm probably gonna want some time to recover from that before I start thinking about writing more

Anyways, hope you guys enjoyed! This was actually kinda fun to do, so I'll definitely be continuing it