Chapter 25

Scott Campbell burst into the suite of cells.

"Scott!" Dawn cried, "Are you okay? What happened out there? I heard a lot of commotion!"

Scott grabbed ahold of the padlock and pulled. The lock snapped, and he tossed it aside. He then flung open the cell door. "Come on, Dawn, we don't have much time!"

"But how? How did you escape?"

"We didn't escape yet!"

Scott grabbed Dawn's hand and dragged her from the suite of cells. The outer hall door was shaking violently, secured only with a latch and a chair propped under the door handle. From beyond the door came muted shouts, some calling for Scott's blood. Scott steered Dawn toward one of the side rooms. A window, large enough for Dawn to fit through (and questionably Scott as well) was located on the far wall. Scott directed Dawn toward the window. She scrambled over boxes to reach the window, as Scott was close behind. She slid through with relative ease; Scott found it a bit tighter. As Scott pulled himself out through the window, the hallway door gave way and a group of angry vampires burst into the hall. Scott and Dawn ran toward the driveway where Scott's car had been parked. In the fury, Dawn had not noticed Scott holding her purse, which he now thrust toward her. He then handed her the keys to his beloved Mach I.

"Here, Dawn," Scott said, "Take my car."

"I'm not leaving without you!"

"I don't have time to argue this. Take my car now. Get to St. Michael's. You need to let them know what's going on."

"But, Scott..."

"Go! Now! I'll hold them off!"

"But..."

Scott gently stroked her cheek. "Go now, Dawn. Please."

"Okay, but you better be close behind!"

She took Scott's car keys and jumped into the muscle car, the engine starting with a roar. She pulled out of the driveway, burning rubber as she raced off -- just in time for Jack and Jason to  clear the side of the house. Through her tears, she saw Scott whirl around to face them. She watched as the monsters squared off, then turned a corner, the rear end of the car almost spinning. She gained control of the powerful automobile and continued her retreat, off into the night.

Scott faced both Jack and Jason, his fangs bared. The other two vampires had their fangs out as well, but soon allowed them to retreat.

"Okay, Scott," Jack said, "Put the fangs away."

Scott did as Jack said. "Why are we letting her go again?"

"She's part of the cover story, Scott!"

"Oh yeah. Why do we need a cover story?"

"Because they think that you are still you. You know, you?"

"Ah! Pathetic loser me. The me that still cares about my soul. Geez, to think I used to whine about having lost my soul."

"And I relieved you completely of that concern, did I not?"

"Hmmm. I don't know. Let me see..."

Scott slugged Jack in the gut, hard. Jack dropped to his knees, grabbing his stomach.

"Oh, now what the hell did you do that for, Scott?"

"You owed me that, ever since that psycho Elizabeth had a blade to my neck. 'Oh, sorry, Scott! There's nothing I can do'! Thanks for nothing, dad!"