Chapter 37

"I bloody hate flying," The Inquisitor said. "And I wasn't looking forward to another holiday in the States."

The Inquisitor stepped down the stairs into the main chamber of Ministry carrying two long, slender wooden cases. Elizabeth ran to him and embraced him with a warmth uncharacteristic for her.

"Thank God you're here," She said. "How was the flight over?"

"Too fucking long," The Inquisitor replied as he released Elizabeth. "And it was on a commercial flight, which was bollocks. Anyway, what the hell is going on here? And why is there a werewolf here?"

"Uh, hey there," Zed responded, "Yeah, that's me. I'm the werewolf. But I'm a friendly werewolf."

"Yeah, well, you reek of dog. No matter; I suppose we will need all the help we can get, even from the canine. So, give me the condensed version."

Scott floated over to the Inquisitor. "I'm a ghost."

"Aye, no shit. So, Jack offed you, then he had a witch put you back together, but they left you out. And the Scott that's walking around?"

"The Scott that's walking around is in Jack's service completely," Dawn said. The Inquisitor took her hand and kissed it.

"And who might you be?"

"My name is Dawn Rhinebeck. I'm an agent of Ministry."

"No matter. Us gingers are like family, right?"

Dawn smiled. "Uh, thank you!"

"Ahem!" Scott interrupted. "Anyway, the reason you're here is, well, me, really."

"We've been working on a plan to lure bad Scott in and trap him," Elizabeth said. 

"What do you have so far?"

"An appeal to his ego," Jeremiah said.

"Okay, with what kind of bait?"

"Me," Elizabeth answered. "Scott Evil tried to kill me, and if he finds me still alive, he will want to finish the job."

"I don't know about this," Grace said, "Do you think an appeal to his ego will work?"

"Aye, you don't know vampires, lass. We are nothing if not egotistical, and bloodthirsty. That tosser will want revenge, and we will give it to him. Then we will put Scott back inside of Scott."

The Inquisitor placed one of the wooden cases on top of a nearby workstation and opened it. There inside, lying in red velvet, was a slender, helical tusk about two feet long. All gathered around the table, gazing in awestruck wonder at the object.

"And this will be the vessel which will prove his downfall," The Inquisitor said.

"A real unicorn horn?" Zed asked.

"Right, and don't touch it. Unicorn horns are fairly rare. Most of those found on the mystical black market are fakes, usually Narwhal tusks. But this, this is the real deal. And mind the point, it's as sharp as a dagger."

"Well, then," Jeremiah said, "We just need the bait."

"I'll make the call," Elizabeth responded, "The rest of you, get out of sight. Then we'll throw together a battle plan."

"Throw together?" Scott asked. "That doesn't exactly fill me with confidence."

*