this is me trying

The ride home from London was an odd one. Mainly because Emma had managed to persuade her brother into giving her a lift instead of her usual train journey.

Turns out that it was the best timing to go back to the countryside, considering it coincided with Art's introduction of his new boyfriend to their parents. After the potentially-awkward car journey commenced, Emma and Joey- who Emma already couldn't help but think was probably one of the sweetest people she had ever met, began to laugh with each other as they discussed Art's living habits. 

Seeing her brother in a happy relationship, with such a carefree expression in his eyes, made Emma happy- if maybe a little bitter. But no-one deserved this more than her older brother.  Those same bright eyes met hers in the rear mirror, delivering a smile simultaneously as if letting her know that he was ready to listen whenever she wanted an ear.

Rolling her eyes in a light-hearted way, Emma plugged her earphones in to give the happy couple a bit of privacy. The early winter meant that the sun had a fresh-feeling as it blinded her through the window. It was sort of the weather that compelled her to go on solitary walks with the crisp air turning her cheeks rosy. Where the sun added happiness through the dark, bare branches. Where she was awake to witness the sunrises and sunsets evoking a peaceful spell throughout the land.

Though, presently, her brain was cloudy with the gears turning at a thousand miles an hour. She reflected on yesterday in the bar. Noah was there- like always. Despite her experience with Angie, her friends were the people who never let her down.

 When she had eventually turned on her phone, the first thing Emma noted was the sheer mass of calls that Char had made. After a tearful phone call- from both girls, Emma ended the call with the promise to visit Char when she returned to London. 

It was going to be nice returning home. The city had always made Emma excited with the feeling of potential, opportunities and the general electricity that was added to her life. Yet, nothing would compare to the calmness of her home town with all its antique structures and quiet, secret places she could escape to.

3 hours later, finally, Emma stepped out of Art's cramped Golf Polo to be greeted by her parents with warm, strong hugs. Once greetings and introductions were made, the family began to move into the house.

'Hey Mum, you reckon you could whip up some pancakes?' She asked, as she made her way in. Already Emma felt more at ease as she took in the cosy interior with her and Art's school artwork framed proudly in-between cheesy photos of the two. 

Joey seemed to have been far more in sync with her parents than Theo would have been. Already Joey was keeping up with her mother as they made and fried the batter. 

Theo never really got to meet her parents apart from a brief exchange.

'Seems you found a keeper,' Emma whispered to Art with a wink as they settled on the squishy fabric sofa. 

'I know right?' Art replied, adoration seeping into his tone as he watched through the doorway his mum and boyfriend swap tips.

Emma had to knock the back of his head to snap him out of it.

'Oi, we get it- you're in love. Now tell me what else is going on in your life?' Rolling her eyes, the only way a younger sibling could. 

'Hmmm, let's see. I got a boyfriend, am drowning in uni work, oh and I find out that my little sister is apparently being cheated on, then is the cheater and now supposedly broke up with a guy who she was practically obsessed with. Oh, and I like Marmite now. Think that covers it.' He replied sassily shooting Emma a look. 

'Ok, I get your point. I've not exactly been the best at communication lately. But if it makes you feel any better last night I deleted all my social media- so maybe I'll be easier to contact?' She hesitantly said, trying to soothe her brother's irritation.