Chapter 27: Get to know You

Shuichi Saihara's P.O.V

I went to the dining hall with Kaede, as usual, the next day.

Everyone else was there, and they all seemed to be discussing something.

"So you're telling me that you found a manhole in the boiler room?" Kaito questioned.

"Yes, Gonta is very sure of what he saw!"

Kaede and I silently took a seat as the conversation continued.

"The manhole could be a way out. We haven't really found an exit yet, so this is probably the closest thing to one," Rantaro mentioned.

"Amami's right. Shirogane isn't here to stop us, so we might as well try! Gokuhara, could you show us where?" Kaede asked.

"Of course!"

---------------------------------------------------------------------

We arrived at the place Gonta was talking about. Gonta removed the manhole cover, and we entered the area.

It was the same place where Maki, Himiko, Kokichi, me, and a few others found out about the world being in ruins. We don't have Miu's inventions to get past the traps yet, so I wonder if the traps will be deactivated since Tsumugi is gone.

Otherwise, we're going to be here for a while.

.
.
.

The same events occurred as last time. We couldn't get through the traps, and we eventually got tired and gave up.

"L-Let's...try once more," Kaede suggested,  her legs wavering as she struggled to get up.

"You said that more times then I can count. Face it Kaede, we can't get through these traps," Kokichi rebutted, laying against a wall looking genuinely pissed.

"Y'know, we wouldn't be fucking struggling right now if it wasn't for you, Bakamatsu!" Miu added.

Kaede looked at the ground and clenched her fists for a moment, before letting her hands fall back to her sides.

"You're right. I'm pretty stupid for bringing you all into this."

It hurt me to see her like this. I quickly placed my hand onto her shoulder before she could walk off.

"That isn't true. You aren't a burden or an idiot. I promise you that."

She looked up at me for a moment, tears starting to form in her eyes. She looked back down and wiped her tears before they could fall onto her face.

"T-Thank you, Saihara."

"We all think that. In fact, you're probably one of the only people actually bothering to try and find a way out, which is pretty admirable if I'm to be honest," Rantaro mentioned, smiling in Kaede's direction.

Everyone except Miu and Kokichi agreed.

Kaede looked up at everyone, and a small smile appeared on her face.

"Thanks, Amami."

"Don't mention it."

"Well, since our previous methods were not effective, what should we do?" Keebo questioned.

I thought about it for a quick second before remembering the answer to that question.

"Maybe Iruma could build something to get us through?"

Miu looked somewhat flustered? when her name was mentioned.

"M-Me? Well, I mean, of course, it would be me! I'm a damn genius after all!" Miu spoke, her usual demeanor returning.

"More like a dumbass, pig whore," Kokichi added.

"You little shit!"

"That is enough. If you two are to fight, please do it elsewhere," Kirumi suggested, her tone being very stern.

They both stayed silent, not bothering to refute her. That surprised me, but given how annoyed Kirumi seems, it wouldn't be smart to talk back to her anyway

We walked out of the sewers and carried with our day.

Kaede and I were walking to the dorms when she stopped. I turned my body to face her.

"Akamatsu?"

"I-I wanted to thank you for standing up for me. I really appreciate it!"

"That's what friends are for right?" I smiled.

"...(is it really just friendship?)" Kaede muttered.

I wasn't able to hear her.

"Huh?"

"Nothing!"

---------------------------------------------------------------------

I stayed in my dorm for a few hours before I heard a knock. I got up and opened the door.

"Hi! Is it okay if I spent time with you for a bit?" Kaede asked.

I nodded.

She went into my room and I closed the door. She sat on my bed, and I followed.

After a few moments of silence, Kaede finally spoke.

"I've been thinking. We don't really hang out normally as friends often, so I was wondering if we could change that," she continued. "I want to know random things about you, like your favorite colors or flavors or even personalities. I want to know what you do in your free time. What I'm trying to say is that I want to know you better. Is...that okay?"

"Of course it's fine. You're probably one of the very few people that I don't mind opening-up to, so I wouldn't mind at all."

Kaede sighed in relief. "I'm glad."

She got up and brushed her skirt off of any dust. She went to the coat stand and grabbed my hat hanging on it. She then proceeded to put it on her head.

"Well, how do I look?" She grinned.

I snickered. "Ridiculous."

"Heyyy!"

In truth, I thought she looked beautiful.