Chapter 13: What Is Rantaro Hiding?

We are now going back to the main storyline! Also, small reminder that the previous chapter was not connected to the real storyline. (Sadly)

Shuichi Saihara's P.O.V

Kaede didn't notice my change in attitude as she just suggested to go get Rantaro. I agreed and we went to Rantaro's dorm.

Kaede knocked on his door, but there wasn't any response.

"Maybe Rantaro's already in the dining hall?" she inquired.

"Most likely. It seems like he goes to the dining hall earlier than most people, so that's probably the case."

We both agreed on my theory and left to the dining hall, making small conversations on the way there.

We arrived at the dining hall, and as I suspected, Rantaro was there. He heard us walk in and greeted us.

"Good morning Akamatsu and Saihara! Did you both sleep well?"

"I slept fine," I fibbed.

I didn't feel like bringing that nightmare up, especially right now. Kaede responded as well, also saying that nothing notable happened while sleeping.

We ate our breakfast while making small talk here and there.

"So, did you guys need something from me?" Rantaro questioned.

Kaede and I nodded in unison, but I was the one that answered. "We want to know a bit more about the Survivor Perk. I feel like you're still hiding something about it from us."

I just had a feeling he was, since he was being very dodgy about the subject. I'm guessing that the perk messed up Rantaro's remaining trust for all of us, and he's just trying to repair that trust, starting with me and Kaede.

"...Okay then. I do have one last thing to show you, but I can't show you two it right now. Or, at least, not here," Rantaro stated.

I understood why he said that. The dining hall definitely wouldn't be the best place to give out information like this, since many people come into the dining hall often.

"Okay, then after we finish breakfast we can go to one of our dorms to talk there." Kaede placed a piece of egg in her mouth after she commented that.

"Akamatsu, we didn't finish setting up the cameras, so I was wondering if it was okay if we did that first, then meet up with Amami?" I asked hesitantly.

I hope I didn't sound forceful.

"I completely forgot about that! We definitely need to complete setting up those cameras first. Thank you for reminding me, Saihara."

Rantaro was somewhat confused since we haven't told him about the cameras yet. We briefly explained the cameras and what we were trying to accomplish with them. Rantaro was completely understanding and agreed with our plan.

"So, we will meet up in my dorm as soon as you two finish setting up the cameras?" Rantaro asked, making sure of the plan.

Kaede nodded.

We finished eating at this point, so we went our separate ways.

I quickly went to my room to retrieve the cameras while Kaede waited for me at the library. I entered my dorm and headed to my drawers. I opened and shuffled through a few before finding the cameras. I then ran out of my dorm and went straight to the library.

I walked in to see Kaede using a ladder to look through a few books on the highest shelf.

Weird.

Kaede most likely heard me enter as she jumped, and she started to lose her balance. I rushed to help her in case she fell, but luckily she regained her balance before that can occur.

"H-Hello Saihara! I was just looking through some books to see if there could be anything that could give us any clues. I didn't notice you entering." She gave me an embarrassed smile.

I helped Kaede down the ladder, and we placed the cameras. I was in charge of the cameras in front of both library entrances while Kaede was in charge of the cameras near the hidden door. I kept an eye on Kaede, making sure she wouldn't turn on the flash like she did last time. From what I saw, I didn't see her turn it on.

"Okay, I think I finished setting up my cameras, Akamatsu. Are you almost done?"

"I think so," Kaede replied.

I got down from the position I'm in to check the placement of her cameras. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary to me.

I then remembered that I didn't tell her about the sensors yet. I told her about them and how there is a remote connected to the sensors. The remote would buzz when a sensor is activated, and the remote can also turn off the sensors if necessary.

"I think we should go ahead and meet up with Amami now, Saihara," Kaede suggested.

I agreed, and we headed to Rantaro's dorm.

We arrived at Rantaro's dorm, and luckily he was already there. Rantaro seemed...very nervous about showing us this thing he was hiding. I mean, I can understand why. We stood in silence for a few moments before Rantaro broke the tension.

"Glad you two made it. So, what I'm about to show it's, well, interesting to say the least. Also, in case if I didn't already say this, Please don't mention this to anyone else. I'm deciding to trust you two, so I'm hoping you won't let me down."

Kaede and I nodded. "We promise to not say anything about this to anyone else. We already figured that it would get... chaotic if we talked about this to everyone, especially when someone in our group is the mastermind," Kaede reassuringly mentioned.

"Thank you. Well, here it is..."

Rantaro took out the monopad from one of his lower drawers and then handed it to me. I sat down on Rantaro's bed while Kaede and Rantaro sat beside me. I then saw this in front of me.