Johto - Chapter 7

Gary POV ~

My eye lids were heavy and I felt like I've been sleeping for days.. I tried to open my eyes, but as soon as the slightest beam of light filled my pupils I closed them again.

A hand was placed softly on my cheek, yet it stung. "Don't bother Gary. Just relax. You're in the hospital."

His hand left my cheek and I heard him walking away. A few seconds later the light above the bed dimmed. Now I could open my eyes, now I could see Ash' face. God how I hope he's okay.

When he returned to my bed he sat down next to me. He touched my face again and it stung all over again. I flinched and hissed. "Ow I'm sorry. The skin on your cheekbones got cracked from hitting the dashboard. I didn't realize it hurt so much."

He turned slightly around and laid down next to me. His shoulder touched mine, but I scooted a little away from him because of the bruises on it. "Ash how come you seem okay?"

"Gary may I first ask you how much you remember?" I thought for I while, trying to imagine us in the car, remembering what happened. I thought out loud. "I remember you taking the turn, then we kissed. You pulled away from me very suddenly and then everything went blurry. Somewhere I remember you talking but that's about it."

"Well... We crashed on a tree. The airbag in the steering wheel broke my fall but you fell sideways and your temple hit the dashboard. And they took you to the hospital in an ambulance for an emergency check up."

I thought this through for a moment until I realized Ash wasn't telling me something. "And how's the car. And how are you?"

Ash POV ~

I hesitates to answer the question. It was his car. I was driving. I ruined his car. Not entirely, it didn't break down completely. It can still drive. But it is visibly damaged.

"The car runs but one of the head lights is broken, there's a star in the window, one of the mirrors is hanging loose and the bumper is uhm... Nicely curved... I'm fine, only a light bruise on my forehead and a slight headache." Gary reached for my hand and took it firmly in his.

Gary sighed. "It's all my fault. I shouldn't have let you drive after that corner and I definitely shouldn't have kissed you..." I felt so sorry for him. He can't blame himself for all this. "No Gary, it's mine. I should've given you the steering wheel back when you suggested it and I should've kept my eyes on the road instead of on you."

I turned to my side only to see Gary doing the same thing. We just stared into each others eyes for a moment, how I loved looking in those dark eyes that seemed black in this amount of light. Yet they seemed to be glowing every time I looked at them. My hand reached for his soft mahogany hair when I heard the door open.

"O, good. You're awake. Can I give you that check up now?" Gary slowly sat up. "Yeah sure."

I went to sit on the chair next to bed again to give the nurse some space, she turned on the light. Gary hissed again, closing his eyes almost fully. "Ah, the light hurts I see, that's really normal. Do you have a headache too?" Gary nodded slowly but certain. "I would have thought so."

She did a regular check up for these kind of accidents and after that said that we could leave. I took him to his car and showed what it looked like. He sighed with a mix of relief and disbelief. Gary banged his fist on the bonnet. I flung myself on Gary. "I'm so, so sorry." Gary stopped beating up the car and grabbed my shoulders. Shaking my upper body, she started crying. "No Ash, I'm sorry."

He got in the car without another word and I followed him climbing onto the passenger seat. No way I'm driving again any time soon. "After all that happened in the past 24 hours, do you want to go home?"

I couldn't believe Gary was asking me this! Of course those were the shittiest 24 hours of my life until now, but nothing I couldn't handle. And no way I'm backing out of this trip to be with my one and only love Gary Oak. No, I want to go further. Get through this. "No Gary, I'm not giving up on anything tonight. Not this trip, not this car, not on you, not on us. We'll make it, and become stronger."

He nodded and started the car without thinking we drove a while till it became dark. "Gary, I don't wanna be looking for a camping, let's find a abandoned parking lot, park the car there and sleep in the trunk." He nodded again. He hadn't said a word after his suggestion to go home.

Not an hour later we found the perfect spot to park the car, near the woods, no one seemed to have been here in ages and for 90 percent secluded. With one big blanket we covered the trunk and two smaller one to cover ourselves. We let our pokemon run free for a moment, trained a few attacks on each other, a nearby rock or one of the many trees to keep them in shape and them crawled into the trunk. Our pokemon settling on the cold hard ground near the car. They deserved a good nights rest underneath a sky full of stars too. While I settled myself under the blankets I gazed up to the sky watching the stars shine bright in a the big dark blue outer-space.

I noticed Gary wasn"t coming. I sat up and looked through the rear window. I saw Gary leaning his head on the steering wheel. I knocked on the window. When he looked at me I mouthed 'You coming?' He nodded and opened the door. He jumped in the trunk like an athlete and pulled the blankets up to his chin. "Gary, what's wrong?" I pulled him in my arms.

Gary POV ~

Ash pulled me in his arms and asked what's wrong, but the problem is I don't know what is wrong, What is wrong? What is wrong with me? We're fighting over whose fault it is that we crashed into a tree, we could say we both had an equal share in it. But why am I still feeling so bad about it? And why do I even feel bad about kissing him? Do I feel about kissing him at that moment, when he was driving and should be paying attention to the road, or just about kissing him in general? I'm not even sure anymore. And that, all those questions, is what's bothering me.

"I don't know, I don't know anymore." He stared at me in disbelief. "What do you mean with 'I don't know anymore'?" Great, now he's suspicious. "I'm just... Nothing feels for sure anymore."

"Gary, you listen to me. And you listen carefully. I want to fight for us, until the end. Whatever it takes. I want to be the very best, for you. And whatever is bothering you now, you can tell me." I ripped the blanket of our bodies and sat at the edge of the car. "That's the problem. If I tell you, you'll probably take back what you just said."

Ash pulled me back by the hem of my shirt and swung his leg over me so he straddled me. "Nothing can change how I feel about you, absolutely nothing." He tried to kiss me but I grabbed his waist, laid him down next to me and turned my back on him. "Please Ash, not now."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First I wanna say HAPPY NEW YEAR!

And I started this year with a not so happy chapter... I just wasn't really feeling like it, I'm not really feeling the Gary//Ash ships lately (the last few days)... I'm so sorry.

Ash' determination is showing that I'm not going to give up on this story, but through Gary I'm thinking about how I'm going to make this work. I'm letting my character decide where the story is going.

In the media is a gif of Ash with his determination to win, turning his cap backwards. Don't we all just melt at this? :) And I had to throw in a important quote: "I wanna be the very best." Which mostly reminds me of someone who says that a lot and who I kinda miss... So... Okay I gotta stop before I burst out in tears in the living room...

Bye peeps, until the next chapter! Can't make any promises when that will be.

Beebee out