23. Shock o'Clock

Deafening silence.

Danny's head started to pound from the impact of the slap and she took the support of the chair beside her to steady herself. She tried to remain unaffected by it as she bit her lip from suppressing the pain that shot through her entire face. Suzy immediately ran to her side and held Danny up as she made her lean in for support.

Danny discretely scanned each face in the room and noticed all kind of expressions, anger, shock, surprise and hatred.

"What the fucking hell?" Damien yelled as he broke the silence. He looked between Danny and Ava and marched towards Ava with outrage filled face.

Ava's eyes widened and turned behind to see a very angry Damien stalking towards her. She most definitely did not expect an audience to witness her slap. Damien signalled their parents to leave them alone and they nodded to give them privacy.

Suzy tried to protest beside Danny, "But Damien-" but his cold expression made her do otherwise as she walked away with her head down.

He turned back to Ava whose face was now bright red in embarrassment, "What the hell do you think you're doing?" He demanded her as he approached her.

"Damien-" Ava started but was cut off by Danny who said, "It's nothing, Damien. It's not her fault. I took things a little too far." She covered for Ava and Ava looked at her with disbelief clear on her face. Damien stared at her with an unbelievable expression as well.

She didn't even know why she said what she said. She just didn't want to cause any further complications and get in the middle of their relationship. The guilt of their kiss was quiet enough for her and she did not want to be the one to break them up. Danny felt like she had destroyed more things than she would have liked and she didn't want to add their relationship to the list.

"Danica, why don't you go to your room? I'll talk to you later." He turned to Danny and said as calmly as he could. Danny was about to revolt but his look told her to shut up and do what was told. She glanced at Ava and then back at Damien helplessly.

"Go to your room, Danica," Damien repeated his words. But this time it was not a request and it wasn't soft, it was more like an order. Danny hesitated at first but walked away eventually.

Once she was halfway through she looked back at both of them and sighed as a sharp pain jolted through her head. She continued to her room and hoped that Damien wasn't too mad about the situation or at her. Things started to fall into place just a few days ago and Danny prayed that this episode wouldn't jinx it. She didn't want this fight to jeopardise her status with Damien as he just started trusting her.

Just let this day pass, Jesus.

                                * *

"Damien, I can explain." Ava reached out to Damien and grabbed his arm.

He stepped back from her, away from her reach and held a hand up to stop her and commented, "Then please do. What did Danica say that made you slap her?"

"How long is she going to stay here Damien? She's trying to get in our way. I'm not gonna let her to that to us!" Ava explained and waved her hands frantically in the air.

"Us? There is no us, Ava. I told you the day this started that there would not be any feelings involved in this relationship and you agreed to it. You agreed to keep whatever this is casual." He spoke slowly and moved towards her. "You've crossed your line." He pointed accusingly at her.

"I know what I agreed to. But I like you now." She defended herself.

"Cut your bullshit. I warned you on day one that I'm not looking for anything. You had no right to lay a finger on that woman." He said with a hint of bitterness in his voice.