Chapter 11: Late Night, Early Morning

Start from the beginning

"I'll text them for an address and let you know."

I nod my head and give him my phone number. "So, what'll you be doing to keep busy til Nostrade gets here?"

Before Kurapika can answer, I hear heavy footsteps enter the hotel lobby walking towards us. When I turn towards the noise, Uvogin is standing across from us.

"Ah, so that's what you'll be doing..."

*

"You should get some rest. I'm sure Gon and Kilhua will be fine for the night. I'll give you a call around 10am," Kurapika says.

I'm not surprised Uvo couldn't let a kid get away with kidnapping and humiliating him. His pride is as fierce as his mane. But surely even he can tell that this kid is different. Something tells me Kurapika wanted Uvo to find him. That's why he wanted to stay in the same hotel even though it could be found easily online.

This is a revenge kill. Everyone in the Kurta Klan was killed by the Phantom Troupe except Kurapika. I wonder how he survived. Part of me wants to stay and watch the epic fight approaching, to see more Kurapika's nen abilities, but I'm afraid to see who'll lose. I hate to think about Uvo's raw power and fierce loyalty to those he cares about being taken away. On the other hand, Kurapika is such a young, untapped force that could probably do the world some good. And having killed out revenge before, I know that kind of anger and pain is best dealt with in private. "I've been here before. If you're doing this to heal, it'll only deepen the wound."

Kurapika cocks his head to the side while looking at me. "Are you saying he doesn't deserve to die?"

"No, he does. But if your dream is to kill the spiders, you'll feel empty once you do. Your family will remain gone and you won't have the fantasy of revenge to comfort you anymore. You'll still have the work of figuring out how to live without them and finding a new dream."

"You don't know me. I could be saving countless lives by destroying him."

"Yes, but that's not why you're doing it, is it?"

His eyes grow wide as he bites lip. I know it hurts, but it's better that he knows, even if it doesn't change what's about to happen. Uvo wouldn't let him walk away even if he wanted to, but maybe a seed can be planted. "You're okay killing civilians, but you'd spare a bad guy."

I fold my arms."I kill as a last resort in defense of myself and others. You're just angry and bitter right now."

Kurapika looks down, his bangs cast a shadow over his eyes. "It's too late."

I brush his hair back from his face and see his steel grey eyes. How restless they are. "You still have time to forgive."

Uvo clears his throat, a growl like a lion waking from slumber. "If you're done mothering him, we have some unfinished business to attend to."

Kurapika pulls away from my hand and continues looking at the floor. "You should go."

"Good luck." As I walk away, the light seems starker than it was before between all of us.

Legs firmly planted, one hand on his hip Uvo looks me up and down. Before I walk past he scoops me to his waist. Our bodies smack together quick and hard like our hips are magnets. His green eyes stare so deeply into mine, I get goosebumps. "After I finish this, wanna meet up?"

I can still smell the cigarette smoke on his breath from our kiss earlier. Even though my answer is no, I realize I felt something when I was by Kurapika's side that I don't feel as strongly in Uvo's arms. Something that could make the difference in who wins this match. Beyond pain, anger, vengeance, or youth. Aura.